Discuss Rcd tripping ???? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Here is the step up16 x 247 w mountef on metal roof Sb 4000 tl On a submain with rcd protecting inverter , lights and powet Few weeks ago rcd triped . Clieny turned off inverter call meI got there and reset the inverter Every ok waited around nothingI noticed a light switch flashing when turned on So i had a look loose cable sorted it.Anyway i have had same call again TodayClient seems to think whem it rains it trips ??? Any advice would be goooood

i wouild be looking for water ingress. might be an idea to ramp test the RCD.

could this be anything to do with the d.c lets say if water enters panel connection boxes or mc4 connection would it trip rcd ??????? if connected in inverter ?????

ie can D.C side TRIP RCD ????

Im Not an expert on Inverters but as the DC side is Class 2 and therefore not normally earthed (Is It earthed?) I would be surprised if it could trip an RCD on the AC side due to water. Don't Sunny Boy recommend using a Type B Breaker?

Yeah , just odd the client said he sparys the array with his hose and the RCD trips nut there are also Lights and power on the RCD SIDE , so my plan is to disconnet the d.c from inverter , give it a blast of water see if it trips ,

I did earth the array frame due to it being a metal roof & structure ??????? what you think could this be doing somthing ?

Is the metal roof also bonded?

I don't thnk this is a PV array problem, I think there is earth leakage elsewhere from another circuit. I agree with Smiffy - try disconnecting the bond from the array and see what happens.

Is this one of these inverters that is transformerless but don't require a B type RCD ?

If it is then it maybe high protective conductor currents in play, as the inverter would leak them and if it's on an existing RCD where there is other equipment on it such as a washing machine. computer then it maybe enough to trip the RCD.

Do a ramp test on the RCD and see what it trips out at. Then check the CPC's which that RCD protects with equipment that is likely to have high protective conductors switch on and see what you get.

Yeah , just odd the client said he sparys the array with his hose and the RCD trips nut there are also Lights and power on the RCD SIDE , so my plan is to disconnet the d.c from inverter , give it a blast of water see if it trips ,

I did earth the array frame due to it being a metal roof & structure ??????? what you think could this be doing somthing ?

Did he use a power washer ? obviously this would'nt account for it tripping during rainfall.

Last edited:

Reply to Rcd tripping ???? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock