Discuss RCD Tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daz-18-11

Hello, I understand there are other topic with similar problems but I thought I would start a topic with my specific problem.

The RCD in our fuse box trips random when a laptop is plugged in and the switch is turned on even before the laptop is turned on, this only happens randomly and not every time. It can happen on any of the plugs in our house.

We have had an electrician visit who tested the whole house circuitry and found no problems, he tested the RCD itself which was not over sensitive so he said it was a problem with one of our appliances, he then continued to PAT the laptop chargers as well as the fridge an kettle etc. They all proved to be fine so said it was one of our appliances which couldn't be PAT tested.

So painstakingly we began to re plug in one appliance in at a time whilst then plugging in the laptop ad trying it multiple times to see what tripped he RCD, after getting towards the end we found that two alarm clocks tripped the RCD which have since been unplugged/replaced yet the problem still occasionally occurs.

Any help would be appreciated

The RCD is seeing the sum of all the earth leakage currents of all the individual appliances that are supplied by the socket circuits it protects. Most electronic equipment has a small amount of earth leakage and that's normal. Just because the RCD trips when the laptop is plugged in it doesn't mean the laptop is the biggest culprit.

You need to get an electrician who knows how to use more than just a PAT tester. If he suspects that one of the appliances that couldn't be tested was causing the issue he could have used an earth leakage clamp meter around the live and neutral coming from the RCD and tracked the problem down that way.

I would say you have a N-E fault on this side of the board. May not be on the socket circuit.

You need a competent electrician with a MFT

I am sure the electrician tested the board so I would imagine that an earth leakage clamp would need to be used to see what exactly the problem is.

Had a very similar set of circumstances recently,IR readings good,RCD ramped ok...still randomly tripped when a load was switched on. New RCD fitted no problems since.Assuming your electrician is competant with a tester (many dont have a clue) and has drawn a blank I'd swap the trip.

Just reading other problems on sone other forums etc. Does anybody think that it could be a problem with the wiring, such as it being pinched or the insulation damaged somewhere or is it totally unaffected due to the RCD tripping only some of the times.

Just reading other problems on sone other forums etc. Does anybody think that it could be a problem with the wiring, such as it being pinched or the insulation damaged somewhere or is it totally unaffected due to the RCD tripping only some of the times.

Yes!!!

And such a problem would be revealed by the use of an insulation tester.

Reply to RCD Tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net