Discuss RCD's and large capacitive loads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, just registered today and sorry to come straight in with a request for help.

I wasn't sure if this would be best in the commercial forum or the domestic one as really it is using comercial type equipment on a domestic ring main.

I have 2 large battery charger/inverters in use at my house which I can individually use with no issues but if i power both up together then at some point over the next 24 hours my RCD will trip. The chargers are a Victron Multiplus 12/2000/80 and a Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/4000/200. The inverters are not feeding in to the domestic supply so it is only the chargers that are effecting the RCD. I believe the problem will be due to the large capacitors built into these chargers causeing earth leakage which is beyond the normal level for a domestic (wylex type AC) RCD. I am just wondering if anyone has come up against a similar issue? Would the solution be to supply these inverters from a RCBO to remove the influence of all other electronics in the house or maybe run each charger from its own RCBO?

It's a common problem, but not normally a domestic one.

Sharing the leakage between the 2 RCBOs is most probably the way to go without seeing the installation.

You could design a circuit to omit the RCD but probably pointless in your case.

One of the domestic chaps may offer a better solution.

EDIT: Also check its dropping out on earth leakage not overload. I haven't googled the charger specs.

It definitely not overlaod. Max draw for both cargers together on full load is just over 20amps. They tend to trip the RCD after a few hours once the batteries are charge though so current draw will be minimal by that point. Its an 80a RCD and 32a MCB

Measuring the leakage would be the best place to start, then a test on the RCD itself.

It may be letting go before its threshold.

Split the chargers across 2 circuits if you have a 2 way split RCD board.

RCD will be 30mA.

Reply to RCD's and large capacitive loads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock