Discuss RCDs in Rental Properties in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spazz

One of my regular Customers: a landlord, has had a letter today from his LA, stating that he must have RCDs in all his Rental houses.

Very limited information received, but I am waiting for a copy of said letter.

What I am wondering is is there a legal requirement to have RCDs installed into all existing installations in Rental Properties?
If there is a regulation can someone please quote a copy or link to it please.

Also has anyone got a copy of the guidelines stating that rental properties should be inspected on the change of every tenant?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing in particular contained in BS7671, that is different for rental properties than for other types of property.
Where Local Councils or Housing Associations rent properties from private landlords, there are no national guidelines.
It is for each housing provider to determine their own guidelines.
My Local Authority for instance has their guidelines available on their web site, and will only accept safety reports issued by NICEIC or NAPIT.

I would imagine that the landlord would be tied to any T&Cs of a letting agent in regards as to what standard his property should be up to, it may that the LA insurance company stipulates what is required so may be better contacting them direct on behalf of your customer.

As for EICR guidelines again that is up to either the last person who inspected the property or again what the LA requires in regards to any insurance or contract they have in place.

GN3 recommendation is for a routine check at change of occupancy/1year with a maximum of 5 years between inspection and testing. I am not aware of any special requirement for rented accomodation re RCDs as per Spin's comments, but if it is a local condition for providing the LA with accomodation then they can have any conditions they want. Not sure they can apply that to all rented property though.

A couple of the letting agents around me have a stipulation that properties that they let must have RCD's - it's my understanding that its their "company" policies rather than anything stipulated by BS 7671 or legislation.

I have spoken to Napit today regarding this.

They informed me that under 611.3 Automatic Disconnection Devices must be present when PIRs are completed on all properties.

Regulation 611.3 “The inspection shell include at least the checking of the following items where relevant, including as appropriate all particular requirements for special installations or locations:
viii. Methods of protection against electric shock:
c. Fault protection:
i. Automatic disconnection of supply”

They also told me that if no RCD is fitted to the ground floor circuit (apart from lights) it must fail under note 2, and if not RCD is fitted to the 1st floor (on installations under the 17th Regs) it must fail under note 4.

This was new to me as I thought the installations must have complied with building regs wiring regs current at the time of installation and the new regs dont apply to old installations - but apparently PIRs are different.

They did say that a RCD can be installed into the existing CU if the CU allows for it.

Also found out that the majority of insurance companies require them as well.

I contacted the LA who issued the letter and they where not willing to comment - nor were my LA as the property in question was not in their county, and they where not willing to provide general advice on this matter

WHAT RUBBISH!!!

How on earth are we ment to comply if they are not willing to comment?

Hmmm..... will have to read the BGB when I get back, not entirely sure that sounds right to me.

It didnt sound right to me either, when Napit told me, Im having a nose at the housing act 2004 now as we speak.

I think its all down to the interpretation of the Housing Act 2004 stating that the property must be safe to occupy - RCDs are a major safety device

From the Housing Act 2004:
Section 104 defines the "health and safety condition" for the purposes of Section 102. The condition is satisfied when it is necessary to make an IMO or FMO in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the occupiers of the house or persons occupying or owning property in its vicinity.

Am I right in saying that the only Automatic Disconnection Device is a RCD??? (apart from a fuse - noting that the fuse only protects the cables and nothing else)

automatic disconnection of supply ( ADS ) is achieved by means of overcurrent protection devices, i.e. fuses and/or MCBs, in the event of a fault. RCDs are additional protection, used for fault protection only when EFLI readings are too high for OCPDs to operate within specified times ( e.g. TT systems ).

Reply to RCDs in Rental Properties in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock