Discuss RE: IR, COntinuity and Elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

j_wheatley

Hi guys, new here and just starting out. Have got my Elecsa assessment coming up Wednesday and just wanted to run a few things by you all as it seems a great forum to help. I have changed a CU as my job and whilst I believe all to be ok I just wanted to query a couple of things. Namely the cooker continuity reading on a 32A type B MCB is 0.95 ohms which when added to R1+R2 for calculated Zs comes in just under the tabulated maximum in table B6 in OSG. is this figure acceptable or should I measure Zs and enter this reading on test results as this would be the actual resistance of the fault path? secondly I carried out a Line connected to Neutral and earth insulation resistance test at the consumer unit as couldn't be sure I could disconnect all neons and sensitive equipment. my meter came back with 17.85 mega ohms. now it is greater than the 2 mega ohms required but just really wanted to check that this figure is within normal readings. it is in a 2 bed flat with 2 lighting circuits (new) two ring final circuits, an immersion heater, cooker and electric shower. I will be totally honest that I have done very little actual testing to date but want to change this by getting Part P registered and doing about four years worth of domestic installs before going on to take my 2394 testing C & G. any help would really be appreciated and if anyone has any tips on making sure I don't balls up my assessment I would be grateful as really nervous! many thanks in advance guys.

jay

i'd be inclined to test each circuit separately L/N - E. you'll probably find that it's just 1 circuit is a bit low. conversely, the average IR per circuit is 17.85 x 7 = 125 Meg.

believe the flat is newish although old colours throughout. cable is T & E red and black. also just to add I reread my message and I put cooker plus R1+R2 which is wrong I meant cooker R1+R2 is 0.95 and this is added to measured Ze which is 0.14

many thanks

jay

believe the flat is newish although old colours throughout. cable is T & E red and black. also just to add I reread my message and I put cooker plus R1+R2 which is wrong I meant cooker R1+R2 is 0.95 and this is added to measured Ze which is 0.14

many thanks

jay
sounds like a loose connection or a very long run.

what size cable is the cooker circuit in?

have you done long lead method if tightening the connections doesnt help?

(drum of singles, connector strip and null your leads)

Last edited:
your measured Zs may well be lower due to parallel paths. but your R1+R2 does seem a bit high for a short 6mm circuit.check all terminations. 1 or 2 may be a tad slack.

pretty sure the circuit is 4mm T&E and is approx. 6m from cooker to CU. will also do individual IR for each circuit and also the cooker switch has a socket so will measure Zs from there too. thanks guys

im going to check all connections and recheck them, then carry out the test again. perhaps I just need to do a bit more as I have very little testing experience so far. but will fully check everything possible and see what comes back, will also do a zs test on the socket. thanks

im going to check all connections and recheck them, then carry out the test again. perhaps I just need to do a bit more as I have very little testing experience so far. but will fully check everything possible and see what comes back, will also do a zs test on the socket. thanks
do a long lead method from the ccu and to the cable in the cooker point, it might be a jb inbetween but testing will be the only way to find out.
l

I'm a bit concerned by you asking whether or not you should carry out an EFLI test.
It is an essential part of the testing process, not carrying it out suggests a lack of knowledge on your part.

blame colleges for trying to eliminate live testing.

I will admit to not having a full range of knowledge yet, I was of the understanding that you could either measure Zs or calculate it using (R1+R2)+ Ze which I already measured. is this not correct? not being smart, really just want to pick up everything I can. thanks

It is not actually required to do a live Zs test as the calculation from Ze and R1+R2 is the worst case, however it is always a good idea because it is at least a final check that all is OK.

It is not actually required to do a live Zs test as the calculation from Ze and R1+R2 is the worst case, however it is always a good idea because it is at least a final check that all is OK.

Oh well that's ok then, shall we use the value of Ze obtained by enquiry instead of measuring that too?

Let's just not bother doing any testing and calculate the whole lot shall we?

After all the magical RCDs will save the day!

I will admit to not having a full range of knowledge yet, I was of the understanding that you could either measure Zs or calculate it using (R1+R2)+ Ze which I already measured. is this not correct? not being smart, really just want to pick up everything I can. thanks
Gasp lol, well at least you have the DB in your house for the buffoons at elecsa to look at, quite frankly I am appalled at the lack of standards now in the trade, embarassed actually, providing you have 5 weeks under your belt, electricity in your house and 400 sobs in a brown envelope these days you are in pmsl.

[QUOTE ] I will admit to not having a full range of knowledge yet, I was of the understanding that you could either measure Zs or calculate it using (R1+R2)+ Ze which I already measured. is this not correct? not being smart, really just want to pick up everything I can. thanks [/QUOTE]

Reg 313.1

Last edited:

Reply to RE: IR, COntinuity and Elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock