Discuss RE-TRAIN AS AN ELECTRICIAN AT 29 GOING 30 ..WERE TO BEGIN in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

Vegeta

Hi,

basically as the title says I am thinking of re training as an electrician. (domestic & commercial)

My background.....I have done a degree in electrical and electronics engineering and gained a 1st class 6 years ago.....my job after degree was servicing & calibrating medical equipment which included fault finding & PAT Testing were needed. my current job Im an electronics development technician and basically verfiy circuit operation, fault find & repair ,build test boxes wire-harness and work with 3 phase motors.

as you can see from my experiences i think i can handle training to do electrics.

the reason I think it will be a suitable career change is because Im a practical person and enjoy being in different environments.

Also its either I stick to my job and work till retirement or try become an electrician and in 15 years time have my own lil company and working part time basically when I want. Im not looking for £25ph at the end of day but enough to live a simple life of.

My questions are:

Since I have a degree is their any way I can shorten the time I would have to go college ??? am i able to go straight on to a level 3 or even the NVQ????

Does anybody know of any colleges that do the level 1 & level 2 electrical installations in the evening in Yorkshire???

Can somebody lay me out a typical route to becoming a fully qualified electrician (courses to take and in order)???

Any help would good and appreciated.....I understand that this would not be easy as I have a family and mortgage and understand alot of free work will have to be done but I want to prepare now by saving money to live off while climbing the steppest part of the hill....

thank you for your time =]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the classic route is 2365 2 and 3 then AM2 possibly 2394 and 2395. But it depends what sort of electrical work you want to do. Domestic, Commercial or Industrial. I think the industrial sparks are the smartest of all and it would be the best deployment with your previous degree. I am just a domestic/commercial spark. Pretty well the least of the pack. However I find the work I do fascinating. I love doing fault finding in commercial especially. I would think there are certain elements such as electrical principles that will be taken into account from you previous qualifications. However that still leaves a lot of ground to cover otherwise.

Reply to RE-TRAIN AS AN ELECTRICIAN AT 29 GOING 30 ..WERE TO BEGIN in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock