Discuss Really Basic Mains Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gordon23

Hello all -

I'm new here - signed up to try and answer a really basic electrical question which I have googled in vain.

I just bought a mechanical doorbell which runs on mains power - which I presumed meant that it would have a plug on it, or at least a socket for a plug cable. But in fact it's just a bare transformer with no markings on it that I can see, and a one page instruction with no markings on that either.

All the instructions show is a diagram with INPUT 220/240V, and two lines going to the transformer terminals: a solid line to the left hand terminal, a broken line to the right hand terminal.

Could you tell me which of live, neutral and earth on my plug cable goes to each of the terminals?

Thanks for your help, and yr indulgence of my ignorance. :smirk:

GK

Can you post a picture, which way around you connect to the terminals shouldn't really matter as long as the mains goes to the 220/240v side.

there must be at least 4 terminals. a pair for 240V input and a pair ( or sometimes 3) for the ELV output. as wetward said, a pic. is essential.

opps, westward

Cheers guys -

Here's the bell and the diagram...

The ones that connect to the bellpush are numbered, so I can see them clearly (terminals on the bellpush are unmarked, so I'm presuming it doesn't matter which goes to which?) but the mains terminals at the bottom have no markings...

bell.jpg diagram.jpg

clear as a bell. the 2 terminals at the extreme bottom, under the transformer cover are for your mains. they are clearly marked 220/240V 50Hz. then you bell push connects as shown in the instructions. all the transformer does is eliminate the need for batteries.

Smashing.

I thought it might not matter which way round L and N went, but I reckoned better safe than sorry...

And yeah, I did get the impression looking at it that maybe it was intended to be taken off the ring mains in some way, but my expertise doesn't stretch to that! It's gonna be fixed in place on the wall in any case, so there should be no strain on the cable...

Thanks for your help folks.

Make sure the sheathing of the flex/cable goes into the enclosure, and put a cable clip in place to secure the cable where it comes out of the unit. Or maybe 2 if you're feeling frivelous.

Make sure the sheathing of the flex/cable goes into the enclosure, and put a cable clip in place to secure the cable where it comes out of the unit. Or maybe 2 if you're feeling frivelous.
You will not restrain it by fitting some clips.

Reply to Really Basic Mains Wiring Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net