• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Recess led light in limited space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
i know this is a regular occurrence,the fitting of recess lights in limited space & with celotex being fitted.why is it always the sparkles problem,when you've got designers specificing the fittings.
We've got about 100 mm from bottom of joist to ceiling,to be fair the builders have cut out the celotex around where the fitting will go,it's at 1st fix stage now.
It's now up to us,to find a suitable fitting,they will have to be integral drivers,to the fittings,any ideas,if this will be possible,.

@stummish I think mentions a 60mm in the other thread by @Murdoch - read that whole thread to get your good ideas. Shame that it's becoming more of an occurrence and we are the only ones that think!

Collingwood halers h2 fittings are great, only 53mm deep, but I assume 60mm to allow a bit of tolerance. The heatsinks are not at the very top of the fitting so with 60mm you have at least 15mm air gap from the hot parts. I use these almost exclusively, I think theyre a great fitting.

Collingwood have always had a good name, bit more pricey but you are getting what you pay for. I've not had the experience of fitting any yet but I saw the fitting that you first fix and the plasterer can cover the fixed bezel bit then you clean it up and click the permanent bezel over the top. That's sounds like it is useful if you want to first fix and test initially.

Yeah there is a plaster in version where there is no bezel at all, the light looks like it comes straight out of the plaster! Deeper fitting though, and way more expensive! The collingwoods all dim very well, and collingwood don't seem to lie about the fittings lumen output or circuit watts like other manufacturers. My only complaint is the reported cri is fairly low at 85+, but again, most manufacturers lie about having 90 or 95 cri. 7 year guarantee, nice looking fittings, and push wire terminals make it easy to fit.

They may cost more, but they are quicker to fit, never get a dud that needs replacing and are brighter, so you can get away with less fittings. As we all know, time is money, all this adds up and means (for me) it works out cheaper for me to install these over other fittings, so I can get more profit out of the price.

Problem is they're only the 500lm version, no 700lm version, warmest is 2900k, the rest of the h2 range have a 2700k version, they're expensive, and their beam angle is reduced by the recess so you need more fittings for the same lux.

On the plus side they look amazing. If I did my house I'll be fitting them.

In my opinion so far, people aren't ready for 4000k or 6000k. 2700 is a great light for the average house that isn't brand new with white walls white furniture and white carpets. Looks out of place otherwise. People may have different opinions. . . . But they're wrong!

Personally I'm not a fan of cool white. Unless it's a kitchen/utility/gym room. Blue spectrum wakes the brain up, so for bedrooms it's terrible, and lounge too as most people spend time in their lounge before going to bed.

The worst is bathrooms, you go into a very bright room, often cool white, to brush your teeth just before going to sleep. Ask any sleep psychologist, it's just going to trick your brain into thinking it's morning.

Agree,anyone remember positioning the pendant in the middle of the bedroom window , & a little distant out,known as a courtesy light.
Apparently stopping anyone seeing people undressing with the light on...

Amitex AX 142/143 are only 35mm deep with plug in driver 25mm deep use them in grade2 listed with shallow lathe and plaster ceilings sometimes only got 45mm to play with

Reply to Recess led light in limited space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back