Discuss Recognition of South African testing qualifications in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Peter Hartley

Hi there Guys

Need some help here. I came over from SA in October. I have been formally trained in testing and inspection and obtained my C&G Level 3 Electrical Installations and Level 3 building regs. I was a active contractor in SA and did hundreds of inspections and certifications. The JIB recognized my training as electrician and gave me Electrician grade and not Approved electrician. NAPIT insists that I must do 2394/5 and wants to charge me a £1000. It seems ridiculous that I have to pay that amount for training I already completed. I was fully qualified and licenced in SA. Now I am not sure if I am allowed to test and inspect. Has anybody else managed to get their overseas qualifications recognised and registered with a competent persons scheme?

Yes you are considered competent to test and inspect your own installations with your existing qualifications.
Napit is but one of many schemes and their requirements may not be the same as others.
£1000 is about the going rate for the 2394/95 combined course and holding these certs will get you approved JIB status.
At one time Napit offered their own "version" of the 2394/5 which was only recognised by themselves.

What do you require from a scheme membership ? That is, what work will you be carrying out that necessitates a scheme membership ?

Yes I have formal theory and practical testing and inspection qualifications. I'll be doing mostly PIR's and mostly shop fittings. Not sure if scheme membership is needed. I was under the impression that one needs to register with one.

Schemes generally for domestic, although it seems some councils etc, believe only if our registered with the NICEIC, are you a competent electrician! To do EICR's, I think you might have to do a C&G course. You could try & contact City & Guilds, but I fear you will need some sort UK qualification?

Thanks midwest. I have my Level 3 C&G's 17th ed with amdt. 3. I am sure I'm fine.

Hi Peter,

Well done on gaining your level 3 this quick. You will do yourself a big favour to go for the C&G 2394/5. I myself have done installation tests back in RSA and things are done a bit different over here as I am sure you are aware. I prefer the UK method of testing. It should aid with scheme registration if you will go down that way. Also being a foreigner, you do seem to be considered competent as an electrician (most of the time) if you do have an inspection and testing qualification, as it is a decent test of an electricians knowledge.

Unfortunately people will not recognise the wireman`s licence. That is a notorious difficult qualification to gain, so you can expect a similar challenge gaining your 2394/5 over here.

best of luck

Hi Peter,

Well done on gaining your level 3 this quick. You will do yourself a big favour to go for the C&G 2394/5. I myself have done installation tests back in RSA and things are done a bit different over here as I am sure you are aware. I prefer the UK method of testing. It should aid with scheme registration if you will go down that way. Also being a foreigner, you do seem to be considered competent as an electrician (most of the time) if you do have an inspection and testing qualification, as it is a decent test of an electricians knowledge.

Unfortunately people will not recognise the wireman`s licence. That is a notorious difficult qualification to gain, so you can expect a similar challenge gaining your 2394/5 over here.

best of luck

Thanks! Don't mind the test so much as the cost of the course. But I am sure I will be fine....eventually

Reply to Recognition of South African testing qualifications in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net