Discuss Recommendations for Weatherproof Socket Makes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

catdog

-
Reaction score
Got a 2 gang weatherproof socket to fit soon. Wondering what makes people would suggest? The house is quarter of mile from the sea so gets wind rain and everything else thrown at it!

Was looking at the MK masterseal- anybody use them much? worth the pennies?!

thanks.

I also use BG. I'm sure the masterseal is very good, probably better than the BG but the difference in price is just too great and the BG is perfectly adequate.

Aug 2008 join date, you must have been one of the first!

BG for me as well. Solid bit of kit for the price and unlike others, the rubber seal is integrated within the fitting. Fitted loads of them and never had to go back to any job due to a fault/ingress of water. Looks good as well.

Think it was April 2008 when this became the forum as we all know it. Actually started up before then on a Spectrum ZX81 (ask your dad lol)

Actually started up before then on a Spectrum ZX81 (ask your dad lol)

haha.... I'm of the age where for computer studies they gave you gridded paper. You wrote a letter per grid ( and an upside down pyramid for a space ). This was then given to the local collage and they inputted it into the computer. Talking the language Basic now. You got the results the next lesson. ( a week later ).
Our teacher had a chess program on his ZX80. It took overnight to make a move. My first comp was a Dragon 32. 32K of memory..... that was loads...... :)

haha.... I'm of the age where for computer studies they gave you gridded paper. You wrote a letter per grid ( and an upside down pyramid for a space ). This was then given to the local collage and they inputted it into the computer. Talking the language Basic now. You got the results the next lesson. ( a week later ).
Our teacher had a chess program on his ZX80. It took overnight to make a move. My first comp was a Dragon 32. 32K of memory..... that was loads...... :)

I had a ZX81 with ,I think a 16k memory plug in.
I had football manager, you would be doing really well, move the machine and the lot would crash...............

Sorry it was even before that , I can't remember the name of it .

Last edited:
BMX game with loads of cheats/short cuts!!! WOW them was the days of beating you school mates. Now we are a global gaming community beating Americans at there own games lol :rofl:

Can moulded-on plugs be inserted easily into the BG ones, and stay in? Have the one of the older MK ones myself, and it is a pain in the bum using the electric lawn mower. I tend fit MK Master Seal, but they're more expensive than BG.

BG do make a large housing socket (only single gang and unswitched) on which you can move the socket to the right position (up/down) so that your moulded plugs or transformer plugs can be used.
large housing IP66 socket.jpg

MK masterseal....We've had comeback before with other makes because people simply cant open them. MK have by far the best lid locking system.
That said even they can be tricky for the elderly, I think there's a case for a big knurled plastic nut lockdown rather than the plastic clips they all use at the moment

I fit BG nexus storm for domestic customers as they are a decent enough unit, cheap, and readily available. For commercial uses and for my own house, MK masterseal.

Another up vote for BG here. MK are good but it doesn't justify the extra cost IMO
(a terrible one is the offering from Click, where the hinged lid is attached to the body so you have to prop it open to have a chance of fitting it)

Jim

Reply to Recommendations for Weatherproof Socket Makes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net