Discuss Recommending work that may not be nessescary in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Been to look at a job this evening, where British Gas have been to install a new smart meter. Having done there work they have given the homeowner a notice of potentially dangerous situation, and that they should contact an electrician ( me ). The notice itself states that the henley block and main isolator should be upgraded. And so i arrive at the property this evening to find this.

Ignoring the absolite rats nest of wiring, it seems the issues raised by the british gas engineer is inadequate IP protection to both the henley block and main cut out as he has fixed a temporary sheild over both to stop anything getting into either enclosure.

Now back to the wiring. Bearing in mind that the homeowner is an elderley lady living on her own, would i be wrong to recommend a new distibution board, bringing it all up to current regs and tidying it all up. As you can see theres one rcd that is doing all lighting, sockets, shower etc and one that is providing protection for a new stair lift that has been installed. I dont think this is providing enough in the way of limiting the inconvenience to her in the event of a fault. There are also rewireable fuses in use and i dont see how she would be able to replace any of them should they blow, least of all as they arnt even the most accessible to get at.

I dont want the customer to feel i am creating work if i could just resolve the issues originally highlighted by the british has engineer and walk away happy. Ive recently made the jump to go self employed so any advice would be appreciated

View attachment 35320

View attachment 35321

View attachment 35322

Been to look at a job this evening, where British Gas have been to install a new smart meter. Having done there work they have given the homeowner a notice of potentially dangerous situation, and that they should contact an electrician ( me ). The notice itself states that the henley block and main isolator should be upgraded. And so i arrive at the property this evening to find this.

Ignoring the absolite rats nest of wiring, it seems the issues raised by the british gas engineer is inadequate IP protection to both the henley block and main cut out as he has fixed a temporary sheild over both to stop anything getting into either enclosure.

Now back to the wiring. Bearing in mind that the homeowner is an elderley lady living on her own, would i be wrong to recommend a new distibution board, bringing it all up to current regs and tidying it all up. As you can see theres one rcd that is doing all lighting, sockets, shower etc and one that is providing protection for a new stair lift that has been installed. I dont think this is providing enough in the way of limiting the inconvenience to her in the event of a fault. There are also rewireable fuses in use and i dont see how she would be able to replace any of them should they blow, least of all as they arnt even the most accessible to get at.

I dont want the customer to feel i am creating work if i could just resolve the issues originally highlighted by the british has engineer and walk away happy. Ive recently made the jump to go self employed so any advice would be appreciated

View attachment 35320

View attachment 35321

View attachment 35322
What are the cotton buds for? got wax in your ear? probably could do with updating, quote for an EICR see what the Old Lady wants to do, or better still speak to her family explain the situation, know one like being accused of ripping off the elderly, not saying that's what you would do, so that's why it may be better to speak to her family.

Have B.G notified the DNO re the cutout, that their meter fixer has opened, resealed then deemed it to be potentially dangerous?
And also fixed the Transmitter?? for the Smart meter sideways, with the cable coming down into it, defeating any I.P it had.

Looks a mess but mess isn't necessarily dangerous. Have you enquired whether she experiences nuisance tripping. Suggest an EICR advising this may throw up all sorts of problems as an outcome. Replace the SERVICE TERMINAL BLOCK (calling it a Henley is like meggering a circuit or hoovering the carpet).

I agree that its a mess, but the cut out and henley block are on the supply side ? The lid looks burnt and cracked on the henley block and the rcd has no ip on the out going terminals.Guess this is what happens when you let gas fitters change electrical meters.

Funnily enough this month Professional Electrican has a piece on "Thousands of new meter swappers need to be trained up" for the expanded smart meter roll out. No mention of what to do with them when all the meters are done but says it's a good opertunity for people to swap careers!

although not necessarily needed, the lot could do with a tidy up. One board serving all circuits and consoling the henley block with the process. We had a client at work with a similar setup, in the end we got her son to come around and explained it to him. They agreed and that was that, and we gave her a demo on rcd's and mcb

Always difficult to judge a situation,merely from a picture and a brief synopsis,but what i DO know,is,if we are doing all the work,BG have told folk they need,this time next year,Rodney,we'll ALL be millionaires...

Not the worst work i have witnessed from this vendor,which,amongst the many examples of a future mis-selling investigation,one that sticks out,was a "helpful" BG operative,who completely condemned an elderly neighbours electrical set-up,quoting a possible £4500 for rectification...but before leaving,he repaired the lady's lounge cabinet lighting,by connecting it's two core bell-wire lead,to a plug top...

If they had spent less money on swollen headed adverts for their sales attack,and more on training and compliance...they might have avoided the future mire they are surely going to encounter.

And don't start me on "smart" meters...that Usual Suspects II script aint washing with me...;)

Reply to Recommending work that may not be nessescary in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock