Discuss Redundant Sockets On Ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Kitchen ring - metal back boxes with 20mm circular PVC conduit running between them horizontally. The conduit extends into each back box by a few mm. Existing wiring is 2.5mm T&E which I'm removing and replacing with singles. Some of the back boxes will become redundant and have white plastic blanking plates over them (ones now behind cupboards etc). Is it still necessary to earth these unused back boxes? They will simply have 3 single cores running through them. Seems a pain to break the cpc and terminate in each box. Would they still be considered as an exposed conductive part? Cheers.

i would say no as once you cut cpc box becomes a joint therefore needs to be accessible for testing,behind units is not classed as accessable.chances of and probs are slim next to nil.

As above why not phone your scheme provider, after all they're the ones who guarantee your work, not random blokes on an internet forum (with the greatest of respect)

Its what you pay your fees for?

I'd class these redundant boxes as merely ''pull boxes'' No need to ground them with your CPC, if they are completely inaccessible to touch etc!!

yes i agree bit of a**** situation if something did happen and you didnt earth them but like said they wont be accessible anyway

i wouldnt bother and just move on with my life

Thinking out loud here I could NOT actually cut the cpc in the redundant boxes just pair back the insulation an inch or so and double the exposed core over. Place that in a terminal block then take a fly lead to the box lug from the same terminal block. But being honest that would look rough as!

Come on chaps, you all know there's no scheme member ship here, which kitchen fitten would????

Remove the back box the you have nothing to earth.

Must be dropping the units a far few mm if there are covering old sockets eh?

Thinking out loud here I could NOT actually cut the cpc in the redundant boxes just pair back the insulation an inch or so and double the exposed core over. Place that in a terminal block then take a fly lead to the box lug from the same terminal block. But being honest that would look rough as!

A pretty pointless exercise all round, just use them as a pull box, leave a loop of the singles for future use, cover plate on and forget!!

Thanks to all those who tried to answer my genuine questions posed in the original post.

To fuzzydunlop specifically, I hope that you get some satisfaction from your all too obvious snide little comments and innuendo over asking as to my scheme provider - proven by your latter comments. Rather than help with a genuine question which was I would say a little out of the ordinary and well worthy of constructive comment YOU took it in another direction entirely.

Your attitude, by not helping, along with the others on here like you WILL one day hurt somebody in my opinion. This forum is a public one with NO requirement for competency or qualifications for people joining. People, the public, those not members of an approved scheme etc will continue to carry out their own electrical work ad infinitum due to the simple fact that the equipment can be purchased anywhere with again no checks etc. This irrespective of Part P. Whether illegal or not it is simple human nature. I appreciate there are two sides to this argument in that why should electricians who have invested a great deal of time and money in training and kit help Joe Public with daft questions. On the flip side helping somebody who is going to attempt in anyway might just save a life.

As for me, no I am not a kitchen fitter but assume that in your elevated eyes that would be an issue? It shouldn't even matter - either make the membership on here restricted to approved scheme members or actually try and help people as the forum suggests it will.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Thanks to all those who tried to answer my genuine questions posed in the original post.

To fuzzydunlop specifically, I hope that you get some satisfaction from your all too obvious snide little comments and innuendo over asking as to my scheme provider - proven by your latter comments. Rather than help with a genuine question which was I would say a little out of the ordinary and well worthy of constructive comment YOU took it in another direction entirely.

Your attitude, by not helping, along with the others on here like you WILL one day hurt somebody in my opinion. This forum is a public one with NO requirement for competency or qualifications for people joining. People, the public, those not members of an approved scheme etc will continue to carry out their own electrical work ad infinitum due to the simple fact that the equipment can be purchased anywhere with again no checks etc. This irrespective of Part P. Whether illegal or not it is simple human nature. I appreciate there are two sides to this argument in that why should electricians who have invested a great deal of time and money in training and kit help Joe Public with daft questions. On the flip side helping somebody who is going to attempt in anyway might just save a life.

As for me, no I am not a kitchen fitter but assume that in your elevated eyes that would be an issue? It shouldn't even matter - either make the membership on here restricted to approved scheme members or actually try and help people as the forum suggests it will.

Merry Christmas!

By may attitude people will get hurt, are you for real?

More than likely the people who let you loose in their house to undertake notifiable works, for which your not within a scheme which enables you to notify (nor (i'm guessing) do you notify the local authority as to the works you do) will be the ones who get hurt;

a) from the shoddy work you carry out (illegally i might add) and b) when they come to sell their house they find out that they have to shell out a load of money to bring their electrics to a compliant status as because you can't be bothered to join a scheme they're up the proverbial without a paddle

So yes, your right I won't help people like you, nor i'd hope would other members of the forum

You're taking the **** tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Redundant Sockets On Ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock