Discuss Refuse an install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Richard3009

If you arrived at a house requesting an extra socket, and the wiring was in the old rubber style with screwits etc, would you recommend a rewire and leave well alone, or henley in a new circuit.

I still come across old rubber insulted wiring that's fine so I'd personally take it on a case by case basis. How did the circuit test results look?

We'll let me just look in my crystal ball and have a look at the house in question ;)

But seriously I would make an initial judgement based on the apparent condition of the installation.
If the installation appeared to be as installed and in good condition (highly unlikely but you never know) then I'd recommend a full EICR to them.
If I was confident that I could justify advising them that a full rewire is necessary without an EICR then I would discuss this with them and recommend accordingly.

I would say chargeable tests would be required on the circuit in question before any decisions could be made. If the client didn't like it, I would walk away, as I have done in the past

Like everything that has appeared before me in rubber,i have vigorously tested it,before condemning it out of hand....many a good tune played on an old fiddle etc :earmuffs:

I tested a house a couple of months back, it was riddled with faults. I recommended a rewire but the owner and landlord wanted a cheap fix of a new CU.
I walked away. You can only do it on a case by case basis considering the test results.

I personally wouldn't touch rubber, its way over due for rewiring.

Same here I wouldn't either , the problem is you could add an extra socket or something , customer would agree with you that all should and will be sorted, once you're out of the door they take no notice and then it can all backfire when something happens , plus you don't know whats going on with the hidden parts anyway ,,,

As said already it highly unlikely you find rubber in good nick , most I have come across has been poor if not bad ,,

I have come across rubber that looks absolutely fine, but was rewiring anyway. I have also found it where the cable passes IR test fine but the insulation crumbles to the touch. I have never left a piece of rubber in service yet.

I have come across rubber that looks absolutely fine, but was rewiring anyway. I have also found it where the cable passes IR test fine but the insulation crumbles to the touch. I have never left a piece of rubber in service yet.

Absolutely, hands on the stuff in will fall apart in most case's , in fact I would go as far and say in all case's.!! (it has done it's bit of long overdue service)

Could I have an example please.

The cable itself will be fine it depends how much the rubber has deteriorated, I would bend a bit to see if it crumbles before getting mft out though.

When rubber dries out it becomes brittle so if it is going to be left untouched with no vibration I would leave it in service but still recomend rewire

My thoughts reflected in a lot of posts out with rubber and in with PVC I would only offer a rewire, having said that you could argue that fitting them a new RCD board would be doing them a favour, but I would walk away.

My thoughts reflected in a lot of posts out with rubber and in with PVC I would only offer a rewire, having said that you could argue that fitting them a new RCD board would be doing them a favour, but I would walk away.
I think NOT. Have you tried to change the board in a house full of aged rubber cable? The insulation falls off the cable as soon as you touch it in most cases.

I have experienced both some houses where the rubber is in surprisingly good order and others where it is powder to touch, a rewire is money well spent, lets face it if you come to sell the house somebody will flag it rightly or wrongly.

Reply to Refuse an install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock