Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jase158

jase158 DIY

Hi all,
    I have just bought a house with the intention of selling on.
    So I am wondering-
    if I add more sockets to the system rather then replacing all the wiring
    If I make sure the light in bathroom is outside the required zones
    Put a combi boiler in so that there is no need for electric shower or immersion heater
    And put a gas hob in
    Do I need the work to be notified to building control?
    I have attached picture of fuseboard- ignore the tape as it is only for selling purposes- house sold as seen!
    I am a plumber and can do electrics but as I am selling it I want to know regulations and get it right!
    If it does need to be certified- do any electricians just test it or is it a case of wanting to do all the work yourself to certify it?
    Part p states that an electrician can sign it off but what do electricians think of this regulation and the risks involved!
    I know I would never sign someone else's gas work off but I would with plumbing work!
    Finally any electricians in the County Durham area that would like to quote for work please pm me!

View attachment 35937

2. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

These are the notification requirements
    [​IMG]

So not notifiable to LABC. But you should be writing out Minor Works certificates to confirm that your electrical work complies with BS7671. You'll be using your calibrated test equipment to do this, of course;)

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I can't see an earth.... Is it a TT system?

4. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

5. jase158

jase158 DIY

No idea- there is an earth coming outside the consumer unit on left side

6. jase158

jase158 DIY

I can't see any comment Bigspark17?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. jase158

jase158 DIY

Confused!

8. Taylortwocities

Yes, you need to trace where that goes to.
    There is also an earth conductor from the top right of the CU disappearing into the ceiling. you need to trace where that goes to.

Its a new consumer unit, only a year old. You should have been given the Installation certificate for the consumer unit as part of the house documents. The first page of that certificate will tell you what the supply type is.

9. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

The last inspection date may have been an EICR. It looks like an insulated CU to me

10. richy3333

richy3333 Trusted Advisor

IP rating on the CU is also compromised?

11. jase158

jase158 DIY

We complete in 3 weeks so will get that paperwork on completion- however I am assuming that this hasn't been certified or notified to building control in which case it may need to be tested and inspected!
    But I assume that this is easily done?
    I have been to many jobs where the customer says- It was like that when we moved in!
    And asked for certification!!
    It is obvious that it has just been installed by the colour of the pipe and the amount the customer knows about the work!
    So I dont want to go down this route.

But will any electrician sign it off if all cables are visible, all trunking installed and not plastered over until inspected etc?

12. Taylortwocities

True. Then he should have a copy of the report - this also will confirm the supply type.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jase158

jase158 DIY

why do you say that?

14. Taylortwocities

What do you mean by "sign it off"

Under the CPS scheme agreement, only the registered installer can self-notify.
    If no notification was made, you may need to get this regularised. There's a cost for that, ask the LABC. Have your solicitor tell you what documents are provided in the bundle relating to this notifiable work. It all may be kosher!!
    If it is not the get a reduction in the house price to cover your costs to get it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

If you get a certificate/report handed over dated 7/16 as stated on the CU then this should give a fair and up to date indication of the state of the system.
    No other electrician should be signing any certificates or notifications for work they did not carry out and have no knowledge of.