Discuss Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jase158

Hi all,
I have just bought a house with the intention of selling on.
So I am wondering-
if I add more sockets to the system rather then replacing all the wiring
If I make sure the light in bathroom is outside the required zones
Put a combi boiler in so that there is no need for electric shower or immersion heater
And put a gas hob in
Do I need the work to be notified to building control?
I have attached picture of fuseboard- ignore the tape as it is only for selling purposes- house sold as seen!
I am a plumber and can do electrics but as I am selling it I want to know regulations and get it right!
If it does need to be certified- do any electricians just test it or is it a case of wanting to do all the work yourself to certify it?
Part p states that an electrician can sign it off but what do electricians think of this regulation and the risks involved!
I know I would never sign someone else's gas work off but I would with plumbing work!
Finally any electricians in the County Durham area that would like to quote for work please pm me!

View attachment 35937

These are the notification requirements
4ddf2185fb3e141517352eebdac40a07

So not notifiable to LABC. But you should be writing out Minor Works certificates to confirm that your electrical work complies with BS7671. You'll be using your calibrated test equipment to do this, of course;)

Hi all,
I have just bought a house with the intention of selling on.
So I am wondering-
if I add more sockets to the system rather then replacing all the wiring
If I make sure the light in bathroom is outside the required zones
Put a combi boiler in so that there is no need for electric shower or immersion heater
And put a gas hob in
Do I need the work to be notified to building control?
I have attached picture of fuseboard- ignore the tape as it is only for selling purposes- house sold as seen!
I am a plumber and can do electrics but as I am selling it I want to know regulations and get it right!
If it does need to be certified- do any electricians just test it or is it a case of wanting to do all the work yourself to certify it?
Part p states that an electrician can sign it off but what do electricians think of this regulation and the risks involved!
I know I would never sign someone else's gas work off but I would with plumbing work!
Finally any electricians in the County Durham area that would like to quote for work please pm me!

Coming onto an electricians forum being a plumber saying "i can do electrics" isnt going to go down well. What electrics do you know? & how do you know when testing if it complies with current regulation?!

there is an earth coming outside the consumer unit on left side
Yes, you need to trace where that goes to.
There is also an earth conductor from the top right of the CU disappearing into the ceiling. you need to trace where that goes to.

Its a new consumer unit, only a year old. You should have been given the Installation certificate for the consumer unit as part of the house documents. The first page of that certificate will tell you what the supply type is.

There is also an earth conductor from the top right of the CU disappearing into the ceiling. you need to trace where that goes to.

Its a new consumer unit, only a year old. You should have been given the Installation certificate for the consumer unit as part of the house documents. The first page of that certificate will tell you what the supply type is.

The last inspection date may have been an EICR. It looks like an insulated CU to me

We complete in 3 weeks so will get that paperwork on completion- however I am assuming that this hasn't been certified or notified to building control in which case it may need to be tested and inspected!
But I assume that this is easily done?
I have been to many jobs where the customer says- It was like that when we moved in!
And asked for certification!!
It is obvious that it has just been installed by the colour of the pipe and the amount the customer knows about the work!
So I dont want to go down this route.

But will any electrician sign it off if all cables are visible, all trunking installed and not plastered over until inspected etc?

But will any electrician sign it off if all cables are visible,

What do you mean by "sign it off"

Under the CPS scheme agreement, only the registered installer can self-notify.
If no notification was made, you may need to get this regularised. There's a cost for that, ask the LABC. Have your solicitor tell you what documents are provided in the bundle relating to this notifiable work. It all may be kosher!!
If it is not the get a reduction in the house price to cover your costs to get it sorted.

We complete in 3 weeks so will get that paperwork on completion- however I am assuming that this hasn't been certified or notified to building control in which case it may need to be tested and inspected!
But I assume that this is easily done?
I have been to many jobs where the customer says- It was like that when we moved in!
And asked for certification!!
It is obvious that it has just been installed by the colour of the pipe and the amount the customer knows about the work!
So I dont want to go down this route.

But will any electrician sign it off if all cables are visible, all trunking installed and not plastered over until inspected etc?

If you get a certificate/report handed over dated 7/16 as stated on the CU then this should give a fair and up to date indication of the state of the system.
No other electrician should be signing any certificates or notifications for work they did not carry out and have no knowledge of.

why do you say that?
He means there should be no holes in the top of the CU.
The W.R. require that accessible top surfaces of encosuresmust be at least IP4X. That means no gaps bigger than 1mm are permitted in the top.
From the picture, it looks like the cables come through the top of the CU. But the cables may come from behind, or they may have been sealed. Needs a closer look though.....

OK, third party certification and notification is like this.
Not all schemes allow this process despite the legislation being in place to allow it. Those schemes that do allow it insist that the electrician signing for the work has inspected it at first fix to ensure compliance of the installation with BS7671, as well as inspection and testing at completion.
As it is now after the fact this option will not be possible. As Taylor says LABC will decide how they want to proceed in this situation.

Yes. But neither of those relate to work done over 9 months ago!!

Also the "registered third party" category is one that was dreamt up by the Part P committee without the buy in of the Competent Person schemes. So just because they have created a "registered third party" category, does not mean that there are many.
Note that this is a special category allowed by the very few CPS that took it on (most either did not or could not get any of their members interested.
So your regular registered electrician will still not be able to do this.

One or two of the sparking brain surgeons on here may have the 'third party' badge though ......

anybody..???????? Hello........????

OK, third party certification and notification is like this.
Not all schemes allow this process despite the legislation being in place to allow it. Those schemes that do allow it insist that the electrician signing for the work has inspected it at first fix to ensure compliance of the installation with BS7671, as well as inspection and testing at completion.
As it is now after the fact this option will not be possible. As Taylor says LABC will decide how they want to proceed in this situation.

Ok, thank you, so is this the same for minor works? I am not what i would class as "competent" at testing, so even if I bought the equipment I would not know how to use it.

Reply to Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net