Discuss Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nearly persuaded myself not to reply, but I'm biting.

Not sure if this fella is trolling or not but in the nicest way I can put this, assuming he isn't.

You've been banging on about how dangerous incompetent gas work is all through this thread yet you're contemplating doing your own electrical work even though you're clearly incompetent.

Why wouldn't you go out and earn some money gas fitting to pay for a sparks to do the work at your place properly and safely. You've admitted you don't even have test kit.

You mention in you're first post that 'you can do electrics'. How on earth have you come to that conclusion. Maybe you once successfully changed the batteries in your tv remote?!

I read often that the Yanks swear by the Bang test
They sent a man to the Moon,if it was us we would still be filing the paperwork for the launch :)
Ha ha- so true
1961 Russia send first man into space
2016 UK send first British astronaut into space- Only 65 years of paperwork

Legally (only) carried out Electrical work in the UK is awash with the quantity of often meaningless forms and paperwork

I complained to the IET,they told me to put it in writing :)

Nearly persuaded myself not to reply, but I'm biting.

Not sure if this fella is trolling or not but in the nicest way I can put this, assuming he isn't.

You've been banging on about how dangerous incompetent gas work is all through this thread yet you're contemplating doing your own electrical work even though you're clearly incompetent.

Why wouldn't you go out and earn some money gas fitting to pay for a sparks to do the work at your place properly and safely. You've admitted you don't even have test kit.

You mention in you're first post that 'you can do electrics'. How on earth have you come to that conclusion. Maybe you once successfully changed the batteries in your tv remote?!

There is always one- that has to make things personal.
I just want to understand the regulations because If you read part P of the regulations it implies that it is ok to do it yourself.
TBH I have at times thought the same myself- we dont give the Gas safety certificates to the building control but it is still a requirement on rented properties. But i wanted to confirm what a Minor works certificate is and not just "assume"
I also wanted to get electricians thoughts and feelings on the regulations and the rules.
When I have asked friends and family I get varying opinions on what the rules state and I am someone who likes to go by facts not rumors.

Why wouldn't I go and do some gas work to pay for electrician?
Maybe because most electricians I know charge £400+ per day, I charge £200 per day, so I would like to save as much as possible!

And finally I can make an informed decision on the best way to go forward.
(perhaps this is the reason for this forum)

How have I come to the conclusion "I can do "basic" electrics" perhaps it is the amount of poorly fitted wiring centers that I have had to take all wires out and re do after an electrician has done it.
Perhaps it is the boilers that I have had to connect as the electrician refuses to connect the flex to the fused spur! Even though they have been contracted to rewire whole house. Or perhaps it is The electric showers that I have had to install as the electrician thinks its "too small" a job!

And on that note I am leaving before I get kicked off, thanks to everyone for the posts and advice. I will definitely be getting an electrician in!

Blimey missed this one. Last Gas Safe plumber I worked with, was charging an hour, for what I was charging for a day. So some anomalies here :)

Re the DIY gas thing. Last time I read up on that, was sure you can connect your own gas hob up if your 'competent', but somewhere in the Gas 'Regs', competence is defined as having the same qualifications as those plumbers that are Gas Safe registered. So they've got that one nicely sorted.

Reply to Regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock