Discuss Relocating a Consumer Unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

acvc

-
Reaction score
HI there.

I've been asked to move a consumer unit from above a floor to below a floor (in the basement, still accessible). It's a move of about 1.5m.

While I would like to upgrade this to an Amendment 3 compliant consumer unit (thereby requiring full testing), the customer is telling me that this is not necessary because another electrician quoting for the same job "has said so".

Do the Regs require it???

Many thanks.

You will be installing a new consumer unit, even if it was the one that you just removed (in my view). You will have to completely remove all circuits, disassemble the CU etc. To me it is a CU change. Notifiable and must be up to current regs, i.e. "amd 3 compliant". Others may disagree.

Are you in a scheme, ask them? If you moving said CU, and not replacing it, you could argue the case. For example, if you moved it a few inches up or down etc, don't think it would need replacing with A3 CU. Moving it to different room, dunno?

This is a good question this, agree with Midwest move it a bit either way who cares, move it to a different floor 1.5m away then it must be metalclad ?
Scheme providers may well say metalclad, maybe I would but the board is not being replaced. I would say there is good argument to reuse the old one.

If the description of works carried out that you write on the certificate says
"Changed consumer unit" New metal clad or a cupboardy thing to enclose the plastic item needs be
"Re positioned existing consumer unit" ,then plastic it shall be,that would be the extent of the works that is what gets done

Maybe we ought to take account of needless cost being inflicted on a householder and for what benefit

This is a good question this, agree with Midwest move it a bit either way who cares, move it to a different floor 1.5m away then it must be metalclad ?
Scheme providers may well say metalclad, maybe I would but the board is not being replaced. I would say there is good argument to reuse the old one.

So the scheme providers can write their own regs now!!!

With regard to the OP if the consumer unit has been installed for a few years with no fires then it is tried and tested as non combustible

So the scheme providers can write their own regs now!!!

With regard to the OP if the consumer unit has been installed for a few years with no fires then it is tried and tested as non combustible

A situation that essentially changes once it is totally removed and installed elsewhere, with everything re-terminated. That argument doesn't hold up, to me at least.

If you can undo the fixing screws to the CU with out taking the insides out and then stretch the cables enough to fix 1.5 metres away then all good, no testing needed ( Big laugh ). If you have to extend cables so you have to disconnect from original CU then unless old CU is less than a year old you have to change it or put it in a noncombustible box but will have to do all the testing and certification that comes with this type of job, my way of thinking is if the customer doesn't want me to do it my way which after my years of experience is probably the best way, then I will walk away, when I look at a job it is always through my eyes not what the customer thinks or the last electrician that priced for the work has said

If you can undo the fixing screws to the CU with out taking the insides out and then stretch the cables enough to fix 1.5 metres away then all good, no testing needed ( Big laugh ). If you have to extend cables so you have to disconnect from original CU then unless old CU is less than a year old you have to change it or put it in a noncombustible box but will have to do all the testing and certification that comes with this type of job, my way of thinking is if the customer doesn't want me to do it my way which after my years of experience is probably the best way, then I will walk away, when I look at a job it is always through my eyes not what the customer thinks or the last electrician that priced for the work has said

In this case, it's been moved onto a different floor in the house, can't see him cutting a hole in the floor big enough to fit it through! Where does the one year thing come from?

Reply to Relocating a Consumer Unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net