Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Removal of Light from Circuit with Looped Neutral in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Mills87

Mills87 EF Member

Hello,

So looking for some advice in advance of getting a visit by a local electrician to see what the general consensus is and whether the job ranges between some quick and easy or full rewire.

In the Lounge of a 1950s semi detached, there are 3 lights operated from a three gang switch. I would like to remove two of these. Wiring is the old Red and Black, but not too old I gather early 90s) from the previous owner (modern Consumer unit too).

Behind the switch, the live loops into the switch with single core round (two layers of) insulated wire, then separate live + earths go off to each of the 3 lights. No Neutral wires to be seen however. At each of the light fittings, there is a live + earth and a neutral + earth. I assume therefore there is neutral loop connecting the lights (heard this is often done with rooms with many downlighters).

Something like this the rough diagram attached

So I have two questions:

1) Is this method of wiring still allowed under (current) regulations for this application? Or would I need a rewire?

2) What would be done to remove to two lights from the circuit? Would have said it would be remove the live between the switch and the light, and link the neutral in a maintenance free junction box (under floor boards). But since there is only one neutral wire going to each fitting there must be a juntion somewhere else feeding these.

Many Thanks

Martin

View attachment 35953

View attachment 35954

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    find the junction box and remove the redundant wiring. diss the unused wires in back of switch/es and wago the ends. ensure the cpc continuity is maintained. fit 1 gang switch.

3. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    ^^ What he said ^^

4. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Its a shame most people who play with their electrics aren't as well informed as yourself

There is no set method of wiring lighting circuits,they can and are done in various ways which include circuits similar to your current method,take the advice above and crack on

5. Mills87

Mills87 EF Member

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for all your replies! Good piece of mind & duly sorted by the sparky with minimal hassle.