Discuss Removal of Light from Circuit with Looped Neutral in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mills87

Hello,

So looking for some advice in advance of getting a visit by a local electrician to see what the general consensus is and whether the job ranges between some quick and easy or full rewire.

In the Lounge of a 1950s semi detached, there are 3 lights operated from a three gang switch. I would like to remove two of these. Wiring is the old Red and Black, but not too old I gather early 90s) from the previous owner (modern Consumer unit too).

Behind the switch, the live loops into the switch with single core round (two layers of) insulated wire, then separate live + earths go off to each of the 3 lights. No Neutral wires to be seen however. At each of the light fittings, there is a live + earth and a neutral + earth. I assume therefore there is neutral loop connecting the lights (heard this is often done with rooms with many downlighters).

Something like this the rough diagram attached

So I have two questions:

1) Is this method of wiring still allowed under (current) regulations for this application? Or would I need a rewire?

2) What would be done to remove to two lights from the circuit? Would have said it would be remove the live between the switch and the light, and link the neutral in a maintenance free junction box (under floor boards). But since there is only one neutral wire going to each fitting there must be a juntion somewhere else feeding these.

Many Thanks

Martin

View attachment 35953

View attachment 35954

find the junction box and remove the redundant wiring. diss the unused wires in back of switch/es and wago the ends. ensure the cpc continuity is maintained. fit 1 gang switch.

^^ What he said ^^

Its a shame most people who play with their electrics aren't as well informed as yourself

There is no set method of wiring lighting circuits,they can and are done in various ways which include circuits similar to your current method,take the advice above and crack on

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for all your replies! Good piece of mind & duly sorted by the sparky with minimal hassle.

Reply to Removal of Light from Circuit with Looped Neutral in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock