Discuss Replace garage consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Danielle Smith

Hi

I have just moved and have an old garage consumer that I would like to replace.
It is fed from the main consumer in the house and rcd protected.

I will need to notify labc but am worried that they may have an issue with the feed cable as is old colours and possible not swa.

Does this need to be replaced? I hope not as it runs under patio garden which I really would like to avoid digging up. Is there another way around this?

The purpose of the change Is that it currently powers 1 socket on a 30A
And one light on a 5A. Like I said it's old.
I will be putting in a ring for sockets and a few downlights. The garage c/u I have purchased is fitted with an rcd which I will bypass seeing as there is protection on main c/u.

Yes I have part p, taking 2392 in a few weeks. Will be the Only female electrician in my area (hopefully) but just starting up..(obviously with these dumb questions)

If the cable is buried without earthed mechanical protection then it won't comply with 7671.
There is no problem with the colour of the insulation, it insulates just as well (assuming the IR is good)
Do not bypass am RCD, return the consumer unit and get the correct unit for the job. If you need a CU with a main switch only then get one.

'Having part P' is nothing special, it's a freely available document not a qualification!

Don't be rude @drzsta and welcome the lady in and offer her a tea - where's yer manners boy?
Danielle check out the extremely long thread that is sill ongoing about RCD garage RCD house feed yadda yadda!
Welcome to the forum

Best of luck with your forth coming exams.
I'd be trying to determine the size and type of cable that feeds the existing garage CU.
How do you know it's under the patio? Is it in conduit/ducting under the patio.
Take a pic and post it on here or ask your college tutor.
PS. We all started out at the beginning. I would suggest you get a job working alongside a seasoned sparky, you will learn far more than you ever will in a classroom.

Thanks all. Sorry for not being clearer.
If the feed doesn't need to be new colours then I will be fine. I need to inspect more and think about replacing with appropriate armoured cable if needed. Not had the daylight as work has taken over my life!
I will return the unit for another more appropriate. Helpful and thank you.

I am not starting up on my own. I work with seasoned electricians but this is a home project and thought I would double check everything to be safe. One can never have too much help and info when it comes to safety right? And I obviously needed it. So before the next ridiculous question some may ask , I haven't spoken to anyone at work about this project hence the post here

Hi and welcome. I don't quite understand why you want to replace the consumer unit in your garage, however I would say if it aint broke don't fix it. I can see it's a great little project for your burgeoning skills. You might find this resource helpful if you have not already seen it:Exporting Pme - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/resources/exporting-pme.101/ It is great to see another female electrician on the forum so in your case, doubly welcome.

if you notify labc, be prepared to writs a cheque for £300.

your council must have a surplus then. most are around £300.

as for notification, you either trell them first and pay. they then inspect and issue a completion notice, or you can employ a registered (with niceic or one of the other bloodsucking leeches) electrician who sees to the notification for you, without the labc fee.

Reply to Replace garage consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net