Discuss Replace garage consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I wonder what the consequences of "not" notifying such a job would be ;)

I also wonder whether I personally would be that concerned under these circumstances,in fact,being both the client and the installer
I would tend to think in the great scheme of life, its not such a pressing issue notifying a job to a council that has historically not been too concerned with delving into what you do in your own home, or the implementation of a failed building regs procedure such as Part P :);)

I would however be concerned that I do the job to a safe standard and ask others with the experience if what I propose is a correct method
Oh,I notice that is exactly what you have done by posting on here:)

Now,Part p silliness aside,lets see if we can help you with what actually is important
First think about what outcome you want to achieve,the loading that will be expected,the distance the garage is from the supply and the supply type,the type of cable and method of protection you desire,then confirm what you have at present and what you need to do to alter/renew/install

Get the design work sorted before the practical work to be clear on the whole of the job before picking up your tools
Post up all the information you can and you can be helped with the choice and installation that "you"make for this work

I wonder what the consequences of "not" notifying such a job would be ;)

I also wonder whether I personally would be that concerned under these circumstances,in fact,being both the client and the installer
I would tend to think in the great scheme of life, its not such a pressing issue notifying a job to a council that has historically not been too concerned with delving into what you do in your own home, or the implementation of a failed building regs procedure such as Part P :);)

I would however be concerned that I do the job to a safe standard and ask others with the experience if what I propose is a correct method
Oh,I notice that is exactly what you have done by posting on here:)

Now,Part p silliness aside,lets see if we can help you with what actually is important
First think about what outcome you want to achieve,the loading that will be expected,the distance the garage is from the supply and the supply type,the type of cable and method of protection you desire,then confirm what you have at present and what you need to do to alter/renew/install

Get the design work sorted before the practical work to be clear on the whole of the job before picking up your tools
Post up all the information you can and you can be helped with the choice and installation that "you"make for this work
Thank you

I didn't say I would post pictures today but I have been stuck to the sofa all day after setting up a fairy tent for my daughter now can't move my lower back!

Will get back on this threat as soon as I can move

the OP appears to be starting her career as an electrician, using this installation.

Just thought a bit of practice on her own property and maybe getting it right would be preferable to yet another novice who starts charging and practising on other peoples properties with little to zero experience

An electrician once had to be able to perform in most aspects of the trade, now the existence of a term "Domestic" electrician and its creator Part P,it has decimated training standards of what it should be to be regarded as an electrician

I have no respect for its existence,however,I can't argue against abiding by its rules especially where charging for your services is concerned, if that is the case

I am probably swayed by my great animosity to the Part P nonsense

Agree Des, Part P, as it appears it was intended, is not working.

All my work is domestic, intentionally so. I can count on one hand in all the jobs I've done in the last few years, where there hasn't been some form of DIY intervention, some of it just rough, some quite dangerous.

But to quote 'we are where we are' and it is the only thing (unfortunately) that tries to stop incompetent DIY installs. We would all like to see something better, better organised and better policed, without organisations making un-gamely profits. But at the moment, its all there is. :(

Hope your back gets better.
Did you get planning permission for the fairy tent :).

I think I may have to take the owner to court as the ceiling was clearly too low and has now caused me to take time off work due to injury.

The sad thing is after sitting in floors for most of the day rewiring houses, you would think putting s piece of wire into a tent wouldn't be such a problem for the old bones.

Ho hum...

You should let your daughter put the tent up, it's called educational character building.
Let us know how you've getting on with the garage when your backs batter.
Did you find out what cable size and type is feeding it currently.

Reply to Replace garage consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net