Discuss Replacement Consumer Unit Required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

samfaction

Hello all,

Many thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided on this. It would be a great help.

I have recently had a new hob installed and asked an electrician to come round to reconnect the ignitor. When he came round he advised he cannot work on the system as the new legislation that came in January means an electrical fuse box must now be metal and he highlighted that there is only 1 RCD which does not cover all the lighting etc. It was my understanding that RCDs were mainly for electrical equipment which will be used outside? As you can see from the photo its also possible to put the upstairs sockets on the RCD as there is a spare fuse in the panel. Would this be advisable? Can you advise if I have to change the whole panel or it is sufficient?

Many thanks in advacne,

Sam

IMG_1116.jpg

There is no reason why an electrician cannot connect a new appliance to your installation based on the material the consumer unit is made from.

It is true that a new consumer unit being fitted would have to be made of steel or enclosed in a non-combustible enclosure, but there is no retrospective requirement.

Having the upstairs socket circuit moved on to the RCD would certainly aid to provide greater protection against shocks for anyone using portable appliances plugged in to those sockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave. Yea I thought that would be the case. The hob was already connected and the cable in place. Its just a replacement. To do that work I am guessing there is no requirement to upgrade the whole consumer unit to a new amendment 3 style? It can just be reconnected and then if at the same time they move the upstairs sockets over to the RCD then this will be a win. Is there any requirement to have the lighting on an RCD under the regulations?

Thanks,

Sam

as dave said. and there is no requirement to put lighting on a RCD except on a new installation where the cables are buried in walls < 50mm deep. regulations are not retrospective. sounds like the electrician who advised you is a Electrical Trainee or touting for work.

Thanks Dave. Yea I thought that would be the case. The hob was already connected and the cable in place. Its just a replacement. To do that work I am guessing there is no requirement to upgrade the whole consumer unit to a new amendment 3 style? It can just be reconnected and then if at the same time they move the upstairs sockets over to the RCD then this will be a win. Is there any requirement to have the lighting on an RCD under the regulations?

Thanks,

Sam

There is no specific requirement for lighting to be on an RCD in the regulations.
The circuits which require RCD protection in a house are any which serve a bathroom or shower room, any which have cables buried in the walls at less than 50mm deep and which don't have earthed metal protection.
This effectively means that all lighting circuits in a house will end up needing RCD protection, but it is important to make the distinction that it is not merely being a lighting circuit which requires it

I wonder how many older confused customers have bowed to this "sparks" superior knowledge though, and parted with the best part of £500 for work that isn't needed.

Joining the party, so the electrician is declining to put a plug top on your new hob, because you have a plastic CU & some existing circuits not on a RCD. Nice work if you can get it.

OP. a couple of members are in the manchester area. maybe they'll see the thread. i personally cover west and south-west of manchester. one of us could fix this for you at a small cost.

I would possibly give the electrician the benefit of the doubt here as there has been a fair bit of confusion over the last year about AMD3. Although saying that it is his/her duty to know what the latest requirements are, which they clearly do not. So they are either misinformed or touting for business as already mentioned. I would defo get another opinion.

Bit nervice of posting as may get my wording mixed up here...

Always under the impression that Regs of the Pass are still ok if they are still working
that you cant use New Regs as a sales ie all Metal all RCD etc etc

Reconnection you shouldnt need a electrician you can do it yourself
more the electricians is for a new circuit (when you need the paper work)

Bit nervice of posting as may get my wording mixed up here...

Always under the impression that Regs of the Pass are still ok if they are still working
that you cant use New Regs as a sales ie all Metal all RCD etc etc
Yes agreed. Reg 132.16 and adding/altering something new to the installation, it has to be up to whatever the current regulations stipulate.

it's anything you add needs to be to current regs. not the existing equipment, as long as it "is safe for continued use". the only thing you need to alter/improve is earthing and bonding if it is not currently present.

Can you not fit an RCBO on the non-RCD side for the upstairs sockets as fitting it on the RCD side will not give you separation of circuits, not sure I worded that right but you know what I mean.

Can you not fit an RCBO on the non-RCD side for the upstairs sockets as fitting it on the RCD side will not give you separation of circuits, not sure I worded that right but you know what I mean.
good point.

I'm confused. The OP wants his new hob reconnected, presumably that would be in the kitchen? From the pic the kitchen sockets are on the RCD. If the hob socket is on the kitchen RFC/Radial, why does he need to be overly concerned with his upstairs sockets, or have I missed something again?

Reply to Replacement Consumer Unit Required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net