Discuss Replacing 60's socket compatibility problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

harry olee

Hi
I need to replace this grubby looking socket shown in the photo with a modern one with usb connection sockets but the internal lugs in the metal pattress box (designed for four screws not two) get in the way and there is a 5mm gap
Other than hacking it out and replacing, is there any neat and secure way of installing a plastic surface mount box over the top of the flush metal mounting box.
The backs of the plastic ones are brittle and need to be supported so you cannot have a void behind them - I was thinking of using a drilled flat metal blanking plate and self tapping screws to support it.
But would this unconventional approach cause consternation amongst the electrical fraternity because of some technical or other reason?
Replacing 60's socket compatibility problem {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

bend the lugs back out of the way. drill back box and drill and plug wall behind back box for the new screws. fit screw extenders into rawlplugs and then screw your 3.5mm pins into them.

View attachment 35488

and use a BG socket outlet with USB as these will fit on a 25mm back box.

I know of a big bungalow estate, 270 dwellings with all the internal walls being paramount boarding. [Built in the early 80s]. All the metal socket and switch boxes are 'fixed' with 4" galv nails through the edges of the boxes-sideways to hold in behind the plasterboard ! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies:
A lot simpler approach than mine!
I will whack out the top an bottom lugs and use the side ones with the old screws (or re-thread / use extenders)
Excellent result - very pleased, thanks again to everybody.

[Built in the early 80s]. All the metal socket and switch boxes are 'fixed' with 4" galv nails through the edges of the boxes-sideways to hold in behind the plasterboard ! :rolleyes:

My house was 80's built.
Exactly the same fixing method but mines Strawmit partition.
Perfectly good way of fixing.

My house was 80's built.
Exactly the same fixing method but mines Strawmit partition.
Perfectly good way of fixing.

Not really in the bungalows I'm on about ,it's only tightening the faceplate screws that pull the box up tight [ish], I've replaced quite a few with dry liners.

BG make 10mm standoff plates so that a quality USB socket outlet can be used instead of BG (sorry, little bit of sick!) worth their weight in gold when retro fitting in a 25mm box. If all goes well with the lug issue and all that jazz!

Reply to Replacing 60's socket compatibility problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock