Discuss replacing a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

David Say

I have read various conflicting documents about updating fix equipment and really like know the correct answer to my problem. A Consumer unit in an existing property is 450mm from floor level, now I know there is no height set for consumer units but if i change it can I leave I there or will I have to move it

I have read various conflicting documents about updating fix equipment and really like know the correct answer to my problem. A Consumer unit in an existing property is 450mm from floor level, now I know there is no height set for consumer units but if i change it can I leave I there or will I have to move it
it's only on new build that building regs. recommend a height. in a replacement situation it's customer's preference as to whether you move it or not.

Forgive me being obtuse but if you don't know the answer to this very simple question should you be changing it anyway??

An answer was is all I needed thanks not an opinion

Oh dear.... another poster who thinks they deserve everything but will earn nothing.

Come on matey, the opinion was rather accurate IMHO

EDIT: Just read your earlier posts.

Maybe you should try and gain entry to the trainee section.

Last edited by a moderator:
just as an aside. re. CU regs. being semi-retired, i'm looking at some of the regs. that appear ambiguous. here's one.

CU IP ratings. top side IP4X, that precludes insertion of anything over 1mm from top side of the CU, assuming it can access live parts, which would be the load side terminals of the MCBs. but, the bottom surface is IP2X, so a metal screwdriver could be inserted onto the live busbar. what's the logic?

Falling objects is what I was told on the 2391. But I would not put money on that coming from a sausage factory of a training center.

Have not done a new build for a couple of years now, what is the required height?

I here a story that Someone hung their coat on a metal hanger hooked on top of the wylex CU.
Due to a small hole in top of the CU and the coat hanger was resting op top of the fuses making it live !!!

Falling objects is what I was told on the 2391. But I would not put money on that coming from a sausage factory of a training center.

Have not done a new build for a couple of years now, what is the required height?
think it's between ---- and chin.

In my handy Pocket Guide 7 it sugests that sockets switches and other electrical equipment should be between 450 mm to 1200mm. So its more like between Nuts and Knees :)

In my handy Pocket Guide 7 it sugests that sockets switches and other electrical equipment should be between 450 mm to 1200mm. So its more like between Nuts and Knees :)
nah. knees and navel.

That's correct of general switches and accessories, but the current part M requires consumer unit switch devices to be at 1350mm - 1450mm above floor level.

got blue ---- and great ----. all about 3" in length. it's the pigeons that cause problems. next door's cat gets to them after i shoot them.

Reply to replacing a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net