Discuss Replacing Boiler's Spur Timer with Socket + plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

vt12

I have this boiler:

Ravenheat - CSI 85 combination boiler - atmospheric combustion - high efficiency boiler

~ If link does not show, google Ravenheat CSI 85 Combination Boiler - Atmospheric

The website says, under Technical Data, that the boiler is 3 amps.

My previous electrician installed this spur timer:

Masterplug Indoor Power TMIH24-MP 24-Hour Immersion Heater Segment Timer: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

~ If link does not show, google: Masterplug Indoor Power TMIH24-MP 24-Hour Immersion Heater Segment Timer

This timer is, however, rated to 13A.

Am I fine replacing this spur with a standard 13A plug socket? My instinct says yes but I have read that appliances should be fitted with appropriate fuses to prevent them causing fires in the event of malfunctions. I have a 5A or 13A plug that I intended to use for this purpose, but I would like to be sure.

I have only basic electrical and wiring knowledge so thanks in advance for replies.

why the hell has he fitted a timer? fit a fused connection unit (FCU) with a 3A fuse. isolate supply at consumer unit beforehand.

Hi VT12. Welcome to the forum.
I'm with Tel on this. I would love to know why your electrician fitted a timer.
Swap it for a fused connection unit (FCU) or switched fused connection unit with a 3A fuse.
Something like this MK 13A DP Switched Fused Connection Unit with Flex Outlet White | Switches & Sockets | screwflix..com

Hum.. the sparky sounds a bit of a muppet. What fuse/MCB is protecting the circuit this is connected to?

Reply to Replacing Boiler's Spur Timer with Socket + plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock