Discuss Replacing External Photocell in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Brunel

-
DIY
Reaction score
I live in a small flat complex that has a number of external lights that are controlled by "SS4" type plug in photocells.

One of the cells has failed permanently on, as they normally do.

Is it ok for me to change the cell, without incurring the wrath of any regulations or building inspectors etc.

I shall NOT be disturbing any wiring or inserting my fingers into any live sockets.

Nor climbing any ladders, as it is accessible from an adjacent window.

Thanks.

Is the "complex"maintained by anyone? if so get them to change it. You could be infringing on their responsibilities if you change it yourself.

We are self managing, normally unless it is a dire emergency, small problems such as this will be ignored for several months.

When it is such a simple job to replace.

simple job to replace the head. nothing to stop you doing it yourself. for complete safety, isolate the circuit before changing the head.

I live in a small flat complex that has a number of external lights that are controlled by "SS4" type plug in photocells.

One of the cells has failed permanently on, as they normally do.

Is it ok for me to change the cell, without incurring the wrath of any regulations or building inspectors etc.

I shall NOT be disturbing any wiring or inserting my fingers into any live sockets.

Nor climbing any ladders, as it is accessible from an adjacent window.

Thanks.
Under no circumstances should you attempt to change the photocell,you may not be qualified,competent or insured and you will certainly cause yourself trouble if you go changing parts of an electrical installation without the permission of the owner. How can you even consider changing the part when you have no way to isolate the circuit? And if things go wrong and you end up tripping the lights then there will be less lights working until the genuine maintenance personnel arrive. If you touch any part of that installation you are begging for trouble

I agree with everything said so far on the thread. Its a simple job.If anything went wrong or you got found out there could be trouble.
Why even bother do you pay the bill? the lights are on in the evening.

The sky is not falling in - don't worry! If the photocell 'dusk til Dawn' is indeed the SS4 type then it is as easy as changing a bayonet. As Tel says, if you can isolate then do but if you can't and have the new 'press and turn head' then plan the job and go ahead as long as you are confident to do it and not putting yourself or others in any danger.
If it is easier to make the call and someone to come out and do it in the New year then so be it.

this forum sometimes gets like a nanny state. next thing we'll see is the comment " call a niceic registered electrician in to replace a blown light bulb".

Whilst I agree its a simple job, the OP seems to doubt whether he/she should be doing it. I have the vision of them hanging out a first/second floor window to change it!

I would keep pestering the landlord, if only just to pee them off. My eldest has a new flat, where he's reported his outside light faulty months ago, because it's filled up with water. Yet when I parked my van there, with his parking permit in it. Had a note pinned to it in a second, to move it 'cos it's a 'commercial vehicle'.

Don't see why you should pay expensive rent, to carry out their maintenance for them.

I bet the occupiers are paying a bit each year for this maintainance I bet they are wondering what they are paying for,depending if the the lights are stuck on or off should reflect upon the responce time

Under no circumstances should you attempt to change the photocell,you may not be qualified,competent or insured and you will certainly cause yourself trouble if you go changing parts of an electrical installation without the permission of the owner. How can you even consider changing the part when you have no way to isolate the circuit? And if things go wrong and you end up tripping the lights then there will be less lights working until the genuine maintenance personnel arrive. If you touch any part of that installation you are begging for trouble

Getting a bit over-excited aren't we?
It's no more technical than changing a Bc lamp!

Apart from hanging out the window to do it, and it's failed before. But more importantly, there's a maintenance contract that a tenant pays a nice fat yearly fee for.

When my eldest moved out of his first flat, he was charged 'fined' £30 for cleaning dust off the top of the bathroom mirror, amongst other things. I would put the letting agents on speed dial, and ring them twice a day, along with emails to clog up their inbox. :)

Getting a bit over-excited aren't we?
It's no more technical than changing a Bc lamp!
Are you getting a bit over excited? Someone asked for opinions on the photocell and you with your over excitable self has decided to offer opinions on the opinions instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Replacing External Photocell in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock