Discuss Replacing single 13a plug in oven with 16a fixed wire on 32a dedicated circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Joshua Deery

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your help.

This is my current setup:
32a MCB to 45a CCU with 6mm^2 wiring (no additional socket at CCU)
6mm^2 wiring to two separate sockets behind kitchen units (one for gas hob ignition one for 13a plug in oven, nothing else on circuit)

My new oven is 3640W so 15.82a meaning a plug would be unacceptable.

My plan is to replace one socket with cooker outlet plate and run 2.5mm2 heat resistant flex between it and the oven. I'm conscious this is rated for 25a, so if the oven faulted could this in effect become the fuse if the fault didn't trip the MCB? Do I need to use 4mm^2 to connect the oven to the cooker outlet plate to avoid this being an issue. I don't want to swap MCB to a lower amp rating!

Having looked at part P post 2013 I am not creating a new cuircuit so this isn't notifiable as the kitchen isn't a special area anymore (sorry if I am getting the specific language wrong). This shouldn't be harder that replacing other sockets around the house, which I have done to add USB chargers in living room and bedrooms.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

6mm^2 wiring to two separate sockets behind kitchen units (one for gas hob ignition one for 13a plug in oven, nothing else on circuit)

are these 2 socketson their own circuit or with other sockets? and why 6mm cable? your post is not clear.

scrub that. just reread it. i understand that you have 2 sockets fed from the cooker isolator, on a 32A MCB with 6mm cable. if so, your plan is OK, but i'd use 4mm flex to the oven.

Great - thank you for getting back to me. Is it necessary to have heat resistant 4mm as that seems harder to source (fine if so, will just have to be patient and wait for delivery!)?

Can't wait to have an oven that does more than incinerate everything!

Have you read the manufacturers instructions for the oven, as the flex to be used may be specified.

Sorry should've included that:

Power cable H05 RR-F or H05 VV-F, min.1.5 m, 1.5 ~ 2.5 mm2)

I'm just conscious that given the 32a circuit breaker this would make the flex the 'weak link' if the oven develops a fault?

Have you read the manufacturers instructions for the oven, as the flex to be used may be specified.

And it may already be fitted and also may have a 13amp plug on it.

And what's the problem with reducing the rating of the MCB?

It doesn't come with any cable and it's 16amp so can't be plugged in.

I didn't want to change the MCB as thought this was trickier/part P related?

Reply to Replacing single 13a plug in oven with 16a fixed wire on 32a dedicated circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock