Discuss Replacing socket back box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gettingthere

Hi all

I have many single sockets in my new place which I would like to upgrade to doubles if possible, however having removed a couple of the face plates I have noticed that I am unable to remove the back boxes as they are 'cable tied' by a red cable looping from the back to the top.

I have attached a picture for ease but has anyone seen this before as I dont exactly want to go around cutting this but I also need to have this removed to be able to upgrade the back box.

Replacing socket back box 20160714_220428 - EletriciansForums.net

Any advice will be greatly received

My brain must not be working properly today....
What is the red "cable tie" actually doing?
Why do you not want to cut it?

looks to me like the wrong back boxes have been used, if its plaster board just replace with cavity back boxes but be careful to not hit any wooden baton things

From the photo, it looks like there's a red insulated single wire looping through the box. (Not a 'cable tie'.)

I wonder if it's been used or some sort of mechanical fixing purpose, rather than electrical?

Last edited:
From the photo, it looks like there's a red insulated single wire looping through the box. (Not a 'cable tie'.)

I wonder if it's been used or some sort of mechanical fixing purpose, rather than electrical?

That's what I see also..nicely bearing against the un-grommetted edges of the back box.
Does seem strange though with coming through the top and exiting through the rear for no apparent reason.

You'd need to Find out where that's going and if it's actually an in use live conductor before you do anything.

worst case scenario is it's a love conductor that's being used as some form of mechanical fixing!

It's not a cable tie...
To OP, do not cut this without knowing exactly what it is doing and proving it is 'dead' first.
In fact as it is only single insulated I would suggest not to disturb further and seek qualified assistance, you may suddenly make that back box 'Live'

You'd need to Find out where that's going and if it's actually an in use live conductor before you do anything.

worst case scenario is it's a love conductor that's being used as some form of mechanical fixing!

what's a Love conductor :)

As others have said you need that red cable checking out first if its not a live cable and just used to secure the box then you can get conversion sockets so you don't have top change the back box
http://www.screwflix..com/p/clipsal...tracking url&gclid=CIKv8pDW9c0CFbMK0wodQu0E6A

As others have said you need that red cable checking out first if its not a live cable and just used to secure the box then you can get conversion sockets so you don't have top change the back box
http://www.screwflix..com/p/clipsal...tracking url&gclid=CIKv8pDW9c0CFbMK0wodQu0E6A

Well if you don't know what a love conductor is, you haven't lived lol

Damn I Thought these smart phones were meant to be smart!

Looks suspiciously like the original installer couldn't use his normal 'nails' to fix the metal back box, because its installed in a stud wall. OP get an electrician in, just to check out the 'red cable tie'. If it is just that, the electrician will be able to upgrade your single boxes to double dry lining boxes.

I'd say that if you take enough sockets and switches off, you'll find equal numbers tied in with red and black.

That looks a proper nasty installation to me. Get someone in to check this installation first to ensure the circuits are compliant before any alterations are made, until you do this just leave it.

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies. I have not played around with it as yet, if it is live would I be able to find this out with one of those mains tester screwdrivers and if that is negative would I be OK in thinking that I could cut this then.

Or would it still be wise to start removing the plasterboard to see where it goes, ideally I would like to avoid this if possible but if none of the above are an option then I'll bite the bullet and get in a professional.

Thanks again.

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies. I have not played around with it as yet, if it is live would I be able to find this out with one of those mains tester screwdrivers and if that is negative would I be OK in thinking that I could cut this then.

Or would it still be wise to start removing the plasterboard to see where it goes, ideally I would like to avoid this if possible but if none of the above are an option then I'll bite the bullet and get in a professional.

Thanks again.

No a tester screwdriver is not going to help you here, and regardless are not a safe method of proving safe. I wouldn't bother ripping out extra plasterboard as that will just cost you extra in the long run which you might as well put towards having someone come and do the complete job for you.

OP, if you post a more detailed location, one of us may be close and able to pop round and check it for you.

I reckon it's been used as an improvised mechanical fixing, which should be evident from the way things move when you wiggle them around, however one thing I've learned over the years is 'never assume'.

Reply to Replacing socket back box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock