Discuss Replacing US plug with UK one in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

RichSimm

Hi,

I've bought several table lamps that each power a 7w E12 bulb. They have US plugs and were sold to me with very dubious looking US>UK adapters. (I ordered online from Thailand and was promised UK fittings. I know, I know...) The connections are poor and the bulbs often go when switched on. I've had them so long now and the complexities of sending them all back, let alone the inevitable to and fro, means speaking to the maker isn't an option that I'm considering.

I want to replace the US plug/adapter combo with a 3 amp UK plug. Can I just cut the cord and rewire it? There will probably be no earth wire. Does that matter? Does the cord need any specific shielding if it has a UK plug on it?

Lots of info online is conflicting. I hope you can help. Thanks!

Hi,

I've bought several table lamps that each power a 7w E12 bulb. They have US plugs and were sold to me with very dubious looking US>UK adapters. (I ordered online from Thailand and was promised UK fittings. I know, I know...) The connections are poor and the bulbs often go when switched on. I've had them so long now and the complexities of sending them all back, let alone the inevitable to and fro, means speaking to the maker isn't an option that I'm considering.

I want to replace the US plug/adapter combo with a 3 amp UK plug. Can I just cut the cord and rewire it? There will probably be no earth wire. Does that matter? Does the cord need any specific shielding if it has a UK plug on it?

Lots of info online is conflicting. I hope you can help. Thanks!
What voltage are these lamps you have ordered from Thailand?

Hi Pete999,
Their documentation says "Can be used in any country, handles 110 to 240v. Bulb included is 220v for EU/AU/UK."

Hi Pete999,
Their documentation says "Can be used in any country, handles 110 to 240v. Bulb included is 220v for EU/AU/UK."
Are the old plugs you intend cutting off and replacing wit a UK type 13A plug top connected to any sort of transformer? can you post a picture of the existing?

Are the old plugs you intend cutting off and replacing wit a UK type 13A plug top connected to any sort of transformer? can you post a picture of the existing?

Why would it need a transformer? It's just a lamp with a small ES lampholder

The plug is this simple 2-pin one, fitting into an adapter that I presume has a 13amp fuse in it. Could be wrong...

Replacing US plug with UK one File 02-08-2017, 16 20 57 - EletriciansForums.net

The colours or Colors may be black and white in the cable not blue and brown , i think black is the live (hot) and white is the neutral (cold) but best check with others

Great feedback, people! Thanks.

So I will cut the cords, discern live and neutral, add a 13 amp (?) fuse to a BS1363 plug and see if that works.

the bulbs often go when switched on
Low wattage filament lamps are like that. Can you fit LEDs?
Constructional standard may not be technically compliant with UK regs but at the moment the most dangerous thing by far is probably that nasty adaptor.

Reply to Replacing US plug with UK one in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock