Discuss requirements for Kiln supply, 3 phase in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Landyow

Hi, i've been asked to change a kiln to 3 phase, not something I do everyday. Would a switch fuse direct from the supply, 10m of armoured cable then an isolator next to the kiln be correct. Runs along a steel through one shed to another.

Hi Landyow: Meaning no disrespect to you, but do you have any experience working on 3 phase kit or High powered kilns ?. If not, then it might be an idea to pass on the job. Or maybe find someone who does have the experience, Get them to do the job & ask if you can shadow them to gain experience.

O.K. Would like to give them some advise though. Thought I'd seen a kiln run on a switch fuse before. So to confirm your recommendations I should recommend them to get someone to put in a board so it can be run from an MCB. I think the kiln is about 60A or less.

Sorry buddy, but I think the recommendation is to get someone in to do the lot: Site survey, Calcs, Design, Installation, Test / Inspection & certification. Electricity, Especially 3 phase is not something to play with if your not trained for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. Would like to give them some advice though. Thought I'd seen a kiln run on a switch fuse before. So to confirm your recommendations I should recommend them to get someone to put in a board so it can be run from an MCB. I think the kiln is about 60A or less.

Whats you trade mate - you can't be a sparky!

O.K. Would like to give them some advise though. Thought I'd seen a kiln run on a switch fuse before. So to confirm your recommendations I should recommend them to get someone to put in a board so it can be run from an MCB. I think the kiln is about 60A or less.

With all respect here, when you say 'I think' then we have no real values to work with, you need to get the correct details of the kiln, then design a circuit to suit, can you also express your qualifications here and/or experience, your profile is not filled in and our advice may change depending on your competence and experience.

Can't say whether fuses, MCB or MCCB protection would be required without some more information. What level of fault current would it need to break and what EFLI constraints are there?

Not a wind up, I do domestic work, 3 phase is just a distant memory now. I did get 95% in my regs test but hate to think what that would be now. I only use a fraction of the book. Sorry I should have explained myself more initially. So here goes, just an enquiry really to see how hard it would be to change supply to 3 phase and if it would be acceptable for it to be done in a similar way to how it is at present. Which is a switch fuse direct from supply and an isolator next to the kiln. Which seemed quite straight forward and tempted me into enquiring with you guys if that was correct. I haven't taken any details of the kiln as I didn't think I'd need them to give a rough estimate (say 10mm swa cable would give a ball park figure). They just need a price to make a decision, I would have wriggled out of doing it saying I wasn't comfortable doing it. Which is what I did before when a friend asked me about some sun beds, I gave them a price to help them out and ran back to my comfort zone. They are friends, so wanted to give them an estimate so someone doesn't overcharge them too much. Might sound strange to waste my time but I like to be helpful and learn some new things.

Didn't want to waste your time with a load of waffle and calcs.
Sorry if my vagueness raised suspicion, I enjoy learning as I'm sure you all enjoy sharing your knowledge.

I do appreciate all your posts
So, anyone got a guestimate on price off the top of your heads :)
Don't need a cost for rewire of kiln, service chaps would sort that.

Many thanks

Would be a max of 60A and approx 10m length in total. No 3 phase board present, just 2 phases being used I believe to supply 4 boards used for various small woodworking tools and small offices which wouldn't be bigger than a large house. TNC-S

Is the kiln 1 or 3ph internally?
If it is 1ph & you want to change it to 3ph, then forget all you know about BS7671, start looking to EN60204-1 , En 13849-1 & -2, EN 62061 if it has electronic control, EN 13850 if it has emergency stops, etc. etc. much more info needed.

Is the kiln 1 or 3ph internally?
If it is 1ph & you want to change it to 3ph, then forget all you know about BS7671, start looking to EN60204-1 , En 13849-1 & -2, EN 62061 if it has electronic control, EN 13850 if it has emergency stops, etc. etc. much more info needed.

Lovely, but I think he's already said that the conversion of the kiln to TP is being handled by others. He is only enquiringly about the supply up to the machine.

Reply to requirements for Kiln supply, 3 phase in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net