Discuss Resistance of a transformer windings. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LeeH

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Does any of you clever chaps know what the resistance of a 5kVA transformer should be? It's a 240-110 CTE.

I have a resistance of 0.16 Ohms (1400A)

If I recall what little transformer theory I covered years ago the impedance will increase when energised but how much I have no idea.

Basically we did some remedial work on the main section board at our Manchester branch and the supply to the transformer won't hold in.

The OCPD is too small, it's a hager C32. Hager recommend a C63 or a D32 for a 5kVA so that's obviously a problem but it's been fine for years.

Hi bud,you might benefit from a bit of research on inrush problems.
There are modifications that can be applied to the transformer,to mitigate against such problems,but you may require approval to apply them...

a 5 kVA transformer will give you a load current of approx 21A. while a 32A MCB will seem appropriate, the inrush current suggests a 32A type C or D, as Hager recommend.

What I'm trying ask is wether the windings are at fault. I.e. A short circuit.

I have the hager data sheets and it's been fine as is for years

slap a supply on it and clamp the cable. on no load it will draw far less than 20A.

Obviously,we do not know if the fault is at the transformer,if other work has been done,so satisfy yourself,that the OCPD is not seeing an actual fault elsewhere,if not,try energising the transformer,with a small load on the 110 side,sometimes,not always,it will hold and operate fine.

It could point to inrush current, as a problem.

This used to be a standard "instructed person" task,when determining by phone,if a site supply had a delicate MCB or a stroppy tranny.

slap a supply on it and clamp the cable. on no load it will draw far less than 20A.

You're missing the point tel, I understand all the basics. The MCB will not hold even for a millisecond.

I have a tranny that's got a very low resistance across the windings. Them mcb IS to small buts it's been OK since it was installed.

I did some unrelated work upstream and now it won't hold in. The low resistance I measure is the question. Does this dramatically increase when ON. Or I guess to be technically correct at this point it will be impeadance.

Could be a tired C32, it should be a C63 or a D32. (Hagar data sheet)

I just don't want to waste £500 on a new one when it's perfectly fine. Only because I don't understand the theory.

VIR says it will never hold in (1400 plus amps). But with increased impedance it will.

Obviously,we do not know if the fault is at the transformer,if other work has been done,so satisfy yourself,that the OCPD is not seeing an actual fault elsewhere,if not,try energising the transformer,with a small load on the 110 side,sometimes,not always,it will hold and operate fine.

It could point to inrush current, as a problem.

This used to be a standard "instructed person" task,when determining by phone,if a site supply had a delicate MCB or a stroppy tranny.

Thanks, unfortunately I locked it off when I left on Sunday!

you can't go by a resistance reading as most of the impedance will be inductive. the ideal solution would be to supply ( no load on secondary) via a variac with the cable clamped. wind up from 0v and see what happens.

I'd expect a 5KVA 240-110 Tx to be way less than 2 ohms on the primary side. The impedance increases rapidly when it's energised. Go with a D curve MCB if you can meet disconnect times.

Does any of you clever chaps know what the resistance of a 5kVA transformer should be? It's a 240-110 CTE. I have a resistance of 0.16 Ohms

Checking my portable 1.5/3kVA it has dc resistance of 0.5 Ohm, but that includes its inbuilt fuse and a bit of flex.

FYE my 3.3 KVA site transformer primary winding measures 0.38 ohms, and that will take out a B32 if you catch the top of the cycle on switch on
my 3.3KVA tranny has a very high resistance ( to flying through the air when kicked. anyone got a cure for broken toes? ).

Yes a few hundred milliohms sounds plausible, although I can't give a specific figure top of head for a 5kVA. The lower the resistance the better as this maximises the efficiency and regulation performance of the transformer; in a perfect world it would be zero ohms as with all wire and cable, but copper is the best conductor available at reasonable cost and we have to design around its small but not negligible resistivity. The actual winding resistances designed into a commercial transformer are a complex trade-off between cost, size, iron loss (off load) and copper loss (on load) and voltage regulation.

One of the main causes of inrush is magnetic saturation. In short, if you switch on at a disadvantageous point in the mains cycle (actually the voltage zero) the magnetic flux in the iron tries to swing from zero to twice its rated maximum, instead of negative maximum to positive maximum, which it cannot stand. So the inductance collapses momentarily and the low primary resistance passes a high peak current until the proper phase relationship between voltage and flux establishes itself.

Is there any kind of safety feature that is available for this anomaly Lucien or others? It can't be down to 'hope it holds' on power up! Very good explanations given in this thread - you should all get together and start a college to teach the next 'Gen' of sparks.
52 weeks divided by 5!
"Leave it!"

What, if any, would an isolator to start with the 'early make, late break' set up on it make?
What would industry use as a soft start in this situation or is it down to the 'curve' on the breaker?

I do not believe an isolator will assist,but there are industrial controls,which serve this purpose.

Some transformers come with these fitted,or you could try fitting a suitable NTC thermistor,which i have,on a very old 3.3,which has powered everything and not wiped out even a 20A MCB.

As Lucien concisely explained,with some units,you have 50 chances a second,to catch it out:)

I take from the information in this thread that the correct OCPD will solve the tripling issues.

The transformer is fine and the C32 which had been on it has had its day. And the 2 times I tried reset it I was unlucky. However, it did go with quite a bang at the DB.

All basic tests on the circuit and transformer are OK now I know a low resistance is normal and actually required.

I'll just tip up with a D32 as the Zs complies.

Thanks all.

Reply to Resistance of a transformer windings. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock