Discuss Resistor across a dimmer... help please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Hope someone can help me with the following.

Have got a couple of wall lights on a standard rocker switch at present, with 2 x low energy lamps. These come to less than 40watts in total.

Customer want to put a dimmer in that is rated from from 40w - 300w.

Sure I've heard before that you can put a resistor in line and this will solve the problem ? Or just try and find 2 x non low energy lamps, not so easy :icon11:

Am I thinking along the right lines here, if so could someone maybe give me a link to what type, where I could buy such a thing.... never had to buy a resistor before.

Many thanks,

Sy

what's the point of dimming something that's already as dim as a candle?

even working live, you wouldn't be able to see what you were doing.

Sorry pointless post......was having a mad 5 minutes :stupid:

Went in B&Q a little while ago and there you go : normal light bulbs :bulb2: on the bottom shelf

For some reason, think it was my wholesaler.... thought you could only get low energy these days :oops:

my wholesaler doesn't stock real lamps any more. they are becoming extinct. buy up loads of different types while you can.

I know Megaman have a range of compact fluorescent lamps that are dimmable.....and they're very bright Telectrix :)

As for using a resistor, even if the lamp will handle the low voltage the resistor would get very hot and would probably need a large heat sink. Dimming is usually achieved by changing the wave shape (pcm) or by changing phase angle.

Hi Chaps,

Hope someone can help me with the following.

Have got a couple of wall lights on a standard rocker switch at present, with 2 x low energy lamps. These come to less than 40watts in total.

Customer want to put a dimmer in that is rated from from 40w - 300w.

Sure I've heard before that you can put a resistor in line and this will solve the problem ? Or just try and find 2 x non low energy lamps, not so easy :icon11:

Am I thinking along the right lines here, if so could someone maybe give me a link to what type, where I could buy such a thing.... never had to buy a resistor before.

Many thanks,

Sy

Hi Sy, I think you are confusing two different issues, dimming standard CLF lamps with a solution ( a resistor across the bulb holder terminals) I posted a while ago for situations when CLF lamps flicker even though they are switched OFF.
There is no easy 'work around' solution for using standard CLF lamps on dimmers. It requires modified internal lamp circuitry to allow even and controlled dimming of CLFs. As the others have said various manufacturers have addressed this problem and produce suitably modified dimmable CFLs. I can recommend both Megaman and Click Energetic versions, note the later brand are usually cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
For circuits with more than one lamp, you can usually get away with dimmable CFLs on a standard dimmer if you fit just one filament lamp - even a 15W pygmy.

I've done this with a touch/remote 40-250W dimmer - 2 CFLs and a pygmy.

Simon.

Reply to Resistor across a dimmer... help please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net