Discuss Retraining Advice needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris65

Hi guys, I need advice on the best and quickest way i can qualify for my ECS card.
I completed my JIB apprenticeship many years ago (236/1 236/2) but fell ill with kidney failure 12 yrs ago, I fortunately received a transplant and so wish to return to work,I've had a job offer from a friend who was an apprentice of mine and now has his own company.

I realise that I need to take my ECS H&S exam first and also my 2382 before I can apply for the ECS card. I will then continue with my I&T after that.

I am having a problem getting onto a 2382 course at my local college due to lack of take up, and so insufficient numbers to run the course. My question is am I able to complete an online course and then sit the exam, or do i need to complete the course with a private company. I have inquired about courses with a few companies but they are quoting between £700- £1000 to take the course and exam !!!!!!!!
I have to pay all fees myself, as despite what I had been led to believe there is no Government funding to help me return to work. Those costs are beyond me, and I feel like they are taking the ****.
Any advice would be great, cheers guys , Chris

PS I am based in Newport South Wales.
I'll be offline until tomorrow so will reply then. Thanks again.

some centres will allow you to sit the exam alone. those course fees you have quoted are a complete rip off. colleges charge about £250 for course and exam. ring round some other colleges in your area. i had the same with my local college... not enough take up, so had to go to crewe, 15 miles away. still reasonably local. 1 other point... if you are signed on the dole, they might pay for it.

The dole has put a couple of my mates through it, one failed!

Boydy

Thanks for the reply Boydy, as I wasn't on the dole or claiming any thing from the DHSS there is no funding available. If I was under 25 or made redundant I would be ok, sadly not.

I'm very confident of passing the exam, sat plenty of mock tests on the lap top and know my way round a regs booK, its getting on a course for the right price that's the problem. Had 20 yrs working as a spark before I was ill so should be ok, I just want to take the full course for my own piece of mind.
Thanks again for the reply, I'll let you know how I get on, cheers Chris

Hi Telectrix, I'm on the list with the local colleges at £320 +vat, its the take up numbers that are the problem.
Had a quote today for a 3 day course for £450 +vat but its 100 mile round trip every day , so not ideal.
Will wait and see what comes up from the college in Feb.
Thanks for the reply, Chris

Reply to Retraining Advice needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net