Discuss Rf relay controlling 100a contactor. Chatter over time. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BenPeirce

Hi there. I'll explain the setup first.

25mm 2 cable single phase tncs Into 3ph 100a contactor. Only switching line. Out of contactor into supply side of a consumer unit.
Coil Is controlled by separate 6a circuit with a lightwave inline Rf relay.

I've changed the contactor as upon switching on the relay chattering occurred. Seemed to do the trick, no more chatter.
However same problem is gradually ( as in over a week) becoming apparent again. Contactor is from lewden. Rf. Inline relay is from lightwave.

If the coil of the contactor is driven with AC, you will get some noise, however... that 'relay'. Is it a relay proper (i.e. electromechanical) or an electronic switch (e.g. a triac)? I'm just wondering if it's say a thyristor drive and the coil is only seeing have wave AC, which would result in a lower frequency buzz I believe.

That said, what kind of frequency is the chatter? Is it resulting in contact bounce?

Curious about what this is being used for as well :)

Hi there. Thanks for your interest. I have a client who is apparently sensitive to emf. I won't get started on they one.

Relay
LightwaveRF 500W Iinline relay, inline switching, power control, JSJSLW825 UK - https://www.directtradesupplies.co.uk/product.php/16934/lightwaverf-500w-inline-relay--white--?gclid=CjwKEAjw3KDIBRCz0KvZlJ7k4TgSJABDqOK7NCa3ufj1RvoMyXRWbs64EHozFklfK18rbllVVbSCzRoCLtLw_wcB

Noise is non existent at first however 50hz buzz can be heard at times when turning on and chatter and contact bounce occurs after weeks.

Thanks

Have you checked the ratings of the relay contacts in the Lightwave unit. They are probably rated for a resistive load and you are switching an inductive load.
Inductive ratings are significantly lower than resistive ones, for example a relay rated at 10A resistive may only be 2A inductive. A 100A contactor will have quite a hefty inrush current which has probably damaged the contacts in the lightwave unit.
I have no idea why the problem went away for a short while, but I think it would be worthwhile fitting a small interposing relay to switch the larger contactor.

PS I have just looked at the spec of the unit and the max load rating is 500w resistive... think that what I have suggested may well be your problem.

Reply to Rf relay controlling 100a contactor. Chatter over time. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net