Discuss RFC Cable Size Question! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok it is unlike me to ask a question like this but it has been a very, very, very long day and I'm questioning my own plans. Basic question really :sweatdrop:

Customer is converting a very large basement room into a kitchen. I've been rushed in at the last minuet whilst the builders are putting up stud & plaster boards on the ceiling (basement = concrete floor and 6" thick Yorkshire stone for the ceiling + joists for the rooms above).

There is a 4mm t&e radial feeding this room which has tested out perfectly, r1+r2, IR & Zs are all great and no worries about continuing using this cable.

Q:- Is there any reason why I cant install a RFC using the 4mm as the first point feed to the new RFC and continuing the RFC in 2.5mm???

Brain fart. One of those days when you question yourself lol. I cant see anything wrong with it but I would love an opinion or two from you guys :rolleyes2:

A man of your calibre asking a question like that!! You are making me doubt myself now, haha! Can't see anything wrong with what you say. I would be tempted to continue in 4mm and have a 32A radial, then run some 2.5 back to the CU (which you are planning anyway) and have another radial too (spare ways permitting).

A man of your calibre asking a question like that!! You are making me doubt myself now, haha! Can't see anything wrong with what you say. I would be tempted to continue in 4mm and have a 32A radial, then run some 2.5 back to the CU (which you are planning anyway) and have another radial too (spare ways permitting).

:iagree: But he's a tight yorkie, that'll mean another breaker. Probably record the csa as 3.25mm and cpc as 2.0mm

Last edited:
:iagree: But he's a tight yorkie, that'll mean another breaker. Probably record the csa as 3.25mm and cpc as 2.0mm

Don't be starting the war of the roses again.......! You're making it start to sound like the recent lollipop cct thread now with talk of 2mm CPCs !

A man of your calibre asking a question like that!! You are making me doubt myself now, haha!

Kalibre... That was a none alcoholic lager advertised by Billy Connolly in the late 80's?????

RFC Cable Size Question! download (5) - EletriciansForums.net

Tight Yorkie :rofl: love it! Cheers IPF, see you at the next Elex show for a pint.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I would be inclined to continue the 32A radial as it is

Yeah same here but I got a call from the builder (friend) at 3pm saying his sparky has let him down big style and cant work on this house, can you come tonight after work (after my day job atm... suby NHS install) and put cables in so we can board tomorrow?!?!?

Only had enough 6mm in the van for the cooker circuit or the RFC would have been thrown in at 10 o'clock at night! No 4mm, only 2.5mm, hence the question.

Ran out of 1.5 twin for the spot lights halve way through so used 3 core 1.5 instead! The next electrician in ten years time doing an EICR will be laughing his socks off when he drops a spot form that ceiling :1eye:

And still readily available, which sort of surprises me!

Kaliber Alcohol-Free Beer (0.05%) 24 x 440ml Cans : All Alcohol-Free Beers & Non-alcoholic Beers - The Alcohol-Free Shop

And this next page has gotta be the sort of thing that would make Tels blood run cold!!

All Alcohol-Free Beers & Non-alcoholic Beers : The Alcohol-Free Shop

mein gott, that's akin to smokes without nicotine or quorn meat free sausages.

The ring in my living room is just like that, half in 4mm and half in 2.5mm. I didn't install it though, a bit pointless and a waste of copper but electrically sound!

Aye, fair do's Paul...but I'm not drinking that ^^ **ss, even if your paying :toilet:.

I had the misfortune once whilst driving some mates on a darts night. If someone had told me it was sugared turnip juice rinsed through a sodastream I would have not been surprised.

Becks blue is the only one I have found that actually tastes of beer.

My only concern would be the 4mm stranded and the 2.5mm solid at the first socket, double the 2.5 over.

Yes, totally agree. What I will do is wrap the 2.5 around the 4mm for a good continuous connection. I'll post up a pic when it is done.

Are you planning on wiring this as a lollipop circuit.? Whats the install method of the 4mm.?

The 4mm is from the CU and only feeding one socket (I've got rid of all the DIY spurs). It is clipped direct and soon to be in 2x2 galv trunking on a 30A mcb.

Lollipop circuit is not my style and with 3 other electricians tonight in the pub shooting some pool, 2 out of 3 said just do a lollipop! One of them was Glennsparks, told him and the other mate to FRO and this should be a RFC whilst possible at the install stage. (Glenn is not happy with my reply and I wont hear nothing but conflicting opinions until the Queen dies and Charles is on the thrown lol....... worth it just to wind him up :wink: )

Yes, totally agree. What I will do is wrap the 2.5 around the 4mm for a good continuous connection. I'll post up a pic when it is done.

The 4mm is from the CU and only feeding one socket (I've got rid of all the DIY spurs). It is clipped direct and soon to be in 2x2 galv trunking on a 30A mcb.

Lollipop circuit is not my style and with 3 other electricians tonight in the pub shooting some pool, 2 out of 3 said just do a lollipop! One of them was Glennsparks, told him and the other mate to FRO and this should be a RFC whilst possible at the install stage. (Glenn is not happy with my reply and I wont hear nothing but conflicting opinions until the Queen dies and Charles is on the thrown lol....... worth it just to wind him up :wink: )

No i agree lollipop is only really used when cu access in unavaible or requires damage to furbished household to get back to cu, if your are running back to cu anyway with new ring cooker lights ect why are you planning on keeping this 4mm and not run 2new 2.5 legs to cu,? Or have i missed the point here

Reply to RFC Cable Size Question! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock