Discuss ring circuit why ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jake1579

why do people use a ring circuit? i understand that the cable for example 2.5mm twin and earth can carry more current in theory another reason i can think of dont know if its why is the circuit may require a heavy use of socket outlets e.g an office using computers etc... but what other reasons?

Also, from what i read if theres a fault on a ring circuit it could be unknown to the person, so my other question is why would it be unknown ? My opinion on it is that because theres 2 cables if one comes out that cable will have more current to carry which leads to problems.. insulation broken etc...

To feed a given number of socket outlets using a ring final circuit requires less copper and fewer protective devices. A ring final circuit can be used on the likes of high bay lighting in warehouses where voltage drop could be an issue.

There are potential installation faults, which are caught by the test procedures like disconnected cables, leading to lack of circuit continuity. If either the line or neutral cable is discontinuous at any one point, the ring will still function at all outlets, but the circuit is now two parallel feeds connected to an OCPD that may be rated to high for this situation but acceptable as a ring final circuit (like 2.5 t&e on a 32amp).If the break is towards one end of the ring, one cable will be taking the majority of the load. On a radial circuit such a problem would be apparent since outlets down stream of the fault would not function. If the earth is disconnected at any point around a ring final circuit there will still be earth continuity at each socket, to this extent the ring final circuit is safer than the radial circuit.

Having said this there is a time and a place for both ring final and radial circuits.

you mentioned about if the line or neutral was disconnected the ring will still work what about the cpc? will that not i assume it would have a higher resistance if it had a fault...

Reply to ring circuit why ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock