Discuss Ring circuits one per floor pre mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am rewiring a house and I am running through just one socket on the ground floor to access the first floor ring. So the first floor ring circuit would include a socket on the ground floor. Is this wrong as I have read I the building regs separate floors, separate circuits, with their own mcb

Re: Ring circuits one per ffloor pre mcb

So long as sufficient documentation is handed over when you complete the work so that the next electrician knows how you've configured the circuits, there's no problem.

Not heard of a Building Reg that requires separate circuits per floor?
With split load boards, it is quite common to find circuits split back and front, rather than up and down, so that if a circuit trips, there will be some power or lighting available on that floor.

Poor design only, just ensure it is clearly marked up on the board and cert' - when the owner wants to isolate the ground floor sockets they need to be clearly aware that that socket isn't part of the rest of the ring just telling them isn't good enough. This is why its poor design because those using the circuits are usually not electrically minded or educated.

Hum...... if there's no obvious safe zone to run the cables then I would agree with the plan.

Did an EICR recently - on a 3 story house - the 3rd floor socket circuit, included a socket on the first floor landing and in a similar position below in the hall.

Just saying.

Good to see you back Murdoch

Always wonder why we still in the UK persist with ring finals, especially in domestic premises.

Surely gone are the days when you are plugging juicy pieces of equipment into sockets as we were 30-40 yrs ago. Personally I would be going more and more for a Radial.

Easier to install, easier to test.

done a rewire recently. hall socket on upstairs circuit and landing socket on the downstairs. then if 1 cct. trips, at least they got a working socket per floor.

I cant get my head around why you cant route your ring for that floor straight to that floor?

but you can via the floor below? Surely just get to the point where the socket below was going to be on ring of sockets above- instead of stopping there just keep going up to next floor?

am i missing something? Havn't done many re-wires- so might not be thinking logically

pink floyd on the stereo, whisky in the jar, no comment.

Reply to Ring circuits one per floor pre mcb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock