Discuss Ring continutiy r1 fault. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dean31

Hi Guys, needs some advice on a problem ive come across.

I am doing testing on a busy pub at the moment, I tested the flat DB yesterday and one of the ring circuits gave me these readings:

r1 = 99.9
rn = 0.51
r2 = 0.81
R1+R2 = 0.85
IR = >299
Zs = 1.10

As soon as I noticed the r1 reading being high and started to investigate the problem them manager came up saying the circuit needs turning on immediately as the internet connection for the tills are on that circuit. I have arranged to go back on monday morning to look at it but only have 30 minutes as the pub opens for breakfast and they will not let me in earlier.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any advise why the r1 reading is so high and if they know a solution?

Thanks for the help.

and when you find the poor connection you will find that your R1+R2 comes down to around 0.3 ohms.

As above in terms of fixing things, although I'll switch t for a 20A and make a note of it if the customer isn't interested

As above in terms of fixing things, although I'll switch t for a 20A and make a note of it if the customer isn't interested

how do you know the circuit isnt pulling more than 20amps in normal use ?
touch / change nothing on a PIR , otherwise your altering the outcome of the inspection.

If you only have 30 mins and you don't locate the fault what happens next? (Try again again etc what about the report as they are expecting a satisfactory)

I bet thats not the only fault that you came across !

Let us know how you get on

The EICR is a report on the condition of an existing installation. It is not a find and fix tool. You need to make any customer aware who asks you to complete an EICR that any departures highlighted will need to be priced for remedial works accordingly and either a minor works cert or installation certificate filled out on completion pending extent of works carried out to eliminate the departures highlighted during the EICR. Do not use an EICR to certify remedials completed.

Guys, I'm not sure what world some of you inhabit. It is common (in my humble experience) for a customer to ask for an EICR, and for any coded items to be rectified as part of that process. So long as I'm being paid appropriately, that's exactly what I do. The point made about appropriate certification for any works done is spot on.

Regards

Reply to Ring continutiy r1 fault. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net