Currently reading:
Ring Final Circuit - spurs only

Discuss Ring Final Circuit - spurs only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I read that it is against the regs that a ring final circuit cannot be just a ring with with spurs off it. In short, a ring must have sockets on it which double up as junctions. I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:
You inferred that a 750W fridge was the cause of thermal damage to a socket, whereas the response pointed out that other factors were much more likely to have caused the damage - factors which aren't removed by hardwiring an appliance.
Hard wiring a permanently connected appliance, rather than permantly plugged into a portable appliance outlet, make matters safer.

Perhaps you could expand upon this as I fail to understand how a 750W fridge is 'made safer' by hardwirng through an outlet plate, than connected via a BS1363 plug/socket arrangement.

It is obviously far safer for a homeowner who has bought a new fridge to cut off a factory fitted plug and connect the flex into an outlet plate, having been to a wholesaler and purchased 3 individual ferrules, than it is for them to plug it in to a socket!

Those rules they brought in about all new domestic appliances being supplied with a plug fitted to them were obviously pointless, they days of people having to fit their onw plugs to everything we're far safer.

Hard wiring a permanently connected appliance, rather than permantly plugged into a portable appliance outlet, make matters safer.

What is a 'portable appliance outlet'? You can't just change the name or definition of a socket outlet to suit your argument!

If hardwiring of domestic appliances made things safer then the rules wouldn't have been changed to require all appliances suitable for connection by a 13A plug to be supplied with one fitted!

I used to believe this too. I don't know if it was included in the 15th or 16th edition, but there's no mention of it in BS7671:2018+Amd2:2022 (at least as far as I can see).

Drew a blank in BBB, but H2.4 of new OSG is clear on this point:

"....the number of non-fused spurs should not exceed the total number of socket outlets and items of stationary equipment connected directly in the circuit".

As such the number of sockets isn't the issue, but the number of points connected directly to the ring.

The back box is a dual backbox slightly wider than a standard double back box allowing 2 single face plates to be fitted, be they single socket outlet, flex outlet or FCU.
Or you could use one of these
1668371492361.png

And have a double socket and a spur

Just thinking about every point being a spur off the rfc, and no actual points as part of the rfc…..

What if you want to add an additional socket or point next to an existing?
You would have to go to the joint box rather than a local socket.

Reply to Ring Final Circuit - spurs only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back