Discuss Ring final & Radial circuits off one mcb ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Another straight forward job today has turned out to be a right mess once again so I thought I'd get some thoughts on the following before I start !

So an old MK LN59 board, feed to garage sockets on a single 2.5mm t&e from a 15A mcb and also spurred to feed a boiler on S plan,

Next ring final on a 30A feeding upstairs sockets as usual but on cover removal I found a 4mm t&e spurred from same 30A mcb and feeding opposite side of garage to sockets all on the 4mm then at the end spurred from last socket with 2.5mm t&e to feed new water cylinder via a DP switch !

Obviously I'm not happy with the 4mm being spurred as an extra circuit from a separate circuit pd but surely the immersion being spurred from sockets is rough too ?

Never seen anything like that before !

Fair comment, was just thinking as there is virtually no load on upstairs rfc there could be an option to swap around ocpd's to make the upstairs ring run from a downgraded 20A and use the 3oA for the sockets on one side of garage as he wants to add 2 x more sockets in garden rcd protected. But really I'll need to try persuade him also to get a separate new cable out for the immersion element in its on right.

Sounds like creative use of the regs to use a single mcb in a sensible way.....

Doubt there was creativity about it, ooh where shall I put this new circuit, ah yes whack it on the ring. Dress it as you will.

I disagree but that is my interpretation of the Regulations.

a circuit is defined in 7671 as 'an assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by the same protective device(s)'
How do you interpret this as meaning that multiple cables connected to the same protective device are anything other than one circuit?

a circuit is defined in 7671 as 'an assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by the same protective device(s)'
How do you interpret this as meaning that multiple cables connected to the same protective device are anything other than one circuit?
Though the interpretation is such, I think its a bit daft. I've often come across one mcb protecting a number of "different" circuits. Tested them and recorded them as individual which to me makes sense (I could be completely wrong of course), even though I'm well within the regs to just record the highest readings of which ever "circuit" produces them.

We've been there before on this Dave my view won't change.

Not taking sides but I do agree with Dave!

At the end of the day you turn off 1 circuit breaker to isolate both cables... So that makes it 1 circuit.

If this is an EICR then it would be C3 with a recommendation to separate them out, space in the CU allowing

Not taking sides but I do agree with Dave!

At the end of the day you turn off 1 circuit breaker to isolate both cables... So that makes it 1 circuit.

If this is an EICR then it would be C3 with a recommendation to separate them out, space in the CU allowing
That is interesting that you C3 it as I do the same. Out of further interest how do you word it on the EICR.

Perhaps regulation 314.4 which calls for more than one final circuit to be connected to a separate way in a distribution board.
It may be that by definition it's one circuit but it's clear that there where no spare ways in the db so it just got shot in with a ring final circuit.
Admittedly it perhaps doesn't go against regulations

Reply to Ring final & Radial circuits off one mcb ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock