Discuss Ring main tripped struggling to find cause in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
32amp ring main tripped mcb and rcd overnight. Rcd will reset but not all the time, mcb will not reset. Unplugged everything in house and mcb still trips, but rcd ok now. 32amp ring main covers whole house and struggling to locate fault. I'm newly qualified and probably missing something obvious any helpful suggestions as next steps?

When you say the mcb will not reset is it because you experience some kind of short/arcing or does the mechanism feel broken.

32amp ring main tripped mcb and rcd overnight. Rcd will reset but not all the time, mcb will not reset. Unplugged everything in house and mcb still trips, but rcd ok now. 32amp ring main covers whole house and struggling to locate fault. I'm newly qualified and probably missing something obvious any helpful suggestions as next steps?
I see from your profile you have Test and Inspect Qualies, have you bothered to test the Ring Final Circuit (not called a Ring Main anymore RFC for short) Or are you just hoping that by unplugging everything you may find the fault? ideal in the first instance but the faults you describe warrants further comprehensive testing

Test the circuit. Be mindful of possible permanently connected loads off the ring such as boilers, kick space heaters, electric fires, towel rails, outside lights, out buildings etc. and disconnect them to assist the testing.

I've had a run of RCD "tripping issues" of late (none being of my making) and I think that the 18th edition should recommend RCBO's for socket circuits....

Back to the OP :

Disconnect L & N from CU, test L-N, L-E and N-E - record values (you need to do continuity first then IR)

"guess" where half way round the ring is and repeat proceedure... at the CU you should then have 1 good "side" and 1 "bad" side - split "bad" side again and repeat until you locate the fault.

Don't even think about linking L&N to earth as it WON'T help, or save any time

I've had a run of RCD "tripping issues" of late (none being of my making) and I think that the 18th edition should recommend RCBO's for socket circuits....

Back to the OP :

Disconnect L & N from CU, test L-N, L-E and N-E - record values (you need to do continuity first then IR)

"guess" where half way round the ring is and repeat proceedure... at the CU you should then have 1 good "side" and 1 "bad" side - split "bad" side again and repeat until you locate the fault.

Don't even think about linking L&N to earth as it WON'T help, or save any time
Rfc connected to 32a mcb however also a radial connected as well when doing r1 rn continuity can't get reading (19.99) tried all combinations r2 reading is 374.9 which shows fault somewhere. Cross connects also giving 19.99 at socket, haven't attempted ir as prefer continuity readings first befuddled now as very new to this

Best disconnect the radial and test that separately. High R2 readings could just be loose connections. The trip could simply be associated with a loose connection

If you dont IR the circuit your not going to find the leg that is causing the fault.

I would test each leg on low ohms first as if its tripping the RCD chances are you will get a reading if not switch to K OHMS and so on!

It might be 3 radials placed into the MCB!

Is this a job or is it your own premeses?

Reply to Ring main tripped struggling to find cause in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock