Discuss Ring main with no earth ring!?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Fully trained ready to open my present which I bought for the wife to give to me, Laphroig, think that's how it's spelt
Ah yes from Islay, I've always though it tastes a bit like TCP, possibly a good excuse if your feeling a bit peaky. Iv'e just got myself a bottle of Penderyn, from Wales would you believe! It's lovely......

Ah yes from Islay, I've always though it tastes a bit like TCP, possibly a good excuse if your feeling a bit peaky. Iv'e just got myself a bottle of Penderyn, from Wales would you believe! It's lovely......
What Welsh Scotch? uggghhh :eek::)

well thanks for the productive comments. as i said i tested and there is an earth at all sockets when split i dont understand why i get no ring on the earth. i was thinking the only thing i can do considering ive stripped the entire system is to split the circuit onto two 20a rcbos. looks like thats what ill have to try and do!
there was no need for the slanging match! next time i want some friendly advice ill know to go else where!

What Welsh Scotch? uggghhh :eek::)

I've had a couple of bottles in the past. Absolutely lovely stuff, and I'm more of an Islay man usually. Try it if you see it in a bar.

If you can't get your head around Welsh single malt you might not get round to the Japanese ones. You'll be missing out though.

well thanks for the productive comments. as i said i tested and there is an earth at all sockets when split i dont understand why i get no ring on the earth. i was thinking the only thing i can do considering ive stripped the entire system is to split the circuit onto two 20a rcbos. looks like thats what ill have to try and do!
there was no need for the slanging match! next time i want some friendly advice ill know to go else where!

You have had some productive and helpful comments to guide you to fixing this very simple fault. What slanging match ?
Split the circuit ? Why not just fix it ?

You have had some productive and helpful comments to guide you to fixing this very simple fault. What slanging match ?
Quite right. Now, the Welsh scotch (!!) is excellent, but I have to take issue with the Jap stuff. I went there years ago on a business trip, and they took the greatest delight in bringing this bottle out at the end of a meal. Man it was rough as hell. Maybe its improved now, bit like the first Hondas.....

Quite right. Now, the Welsh scotch (!!) is excellent, but I have to take issue with the Jap stuff. I went there years ago on a business trip, and they took the greatest delight in bringing this bottle out at the end of a meal. Man it was rough as hell. Maybe its improved now, bit like the first Hondas.....

Well, I was going to recommend Yamazaki 12YO as a good accessible starting point. I have had a couple of bottles in the past and was a very good bottle in the £25-30 mark.
I've just done a search online and it retails at about £90 now though. Must have found a cult following or have limited production now.

as said in my first post its not fixable im afraid i cannot find it.
there are so many radials off the ring there must be quite a few JBs under the floor which is not accessable as its laminate flooring. if this was an easy fix i would not of asked for help!

there are so many radials off the ring there must be quite a few JBs under the floor which is not accessable as its laminate flooring. if this was an easy fix i would not of asked for help!

Well if it's a mish mash of JBs like you suspect then splitting into 2 radials may be a bigger nightmare than actually fixing the fault. To do either option though you need to find the fault.
Are you saying you have totally split the ring down at every point, mapped out the cable runs through continuity testing, and you still have an open cpc when connected into a ring and no idea which portion of cable has the broken cpc ?

Surely you know between which 2 points there isn't continuity of R2?

As above you must have R2 on one half.?I take your point with the jb's under the floor.If the leg has been cut in half that is a big mistake. When I broke in under any floor used to splice the cable, so continuity was not broken.

Well if it's a mish mash of JBs like you suspect then splitting into 2 radials may be a bigger nightmare than actually fixing the fault. To do either option though you need to find the fault.
Are you saying you have totally split the ring down at every point, mapped out the cable runs through continuity testing, and you still have an open cpc when connected into a ring and no idea which portion of cable has the broken cpc ?
Pretty Much i may have lost my way a little but it seemed impossible and i was just chasing my tail. getting late needed power on. im letting them know im gonna have another go at the testing with a clear head.
i think my only option is two radial circuits.

Reply to Ring main with no earth ring!?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net