Discuss ringmain testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkie-leeds

Hi,

I have just tested an existing ringmain starting with the line conductor reading 0.32 and the neutral reading 0.87, these are both in 2.5 twin and earth, can someone explain why there is a big difference in the 2 readings when the conductors are the same size?

None of the result sound correct, i'd re-test and see what you come up with. Make sure you have your test leads connected properly and nulled as suggested earlier

Looks like r1 is a little high too if your r2 is 0.28, its got loose connection written all over it or dodgy test leads mine gave me some funny readings the other day so I changed them now there perfect

so its an EICR is it?....if so then you cant sample on this circuit.....check all points served.....including any joint boxes.....
while your at it...make a note of any stuff like neons etc that will throw up silly IR readings later on.....unless you just test live to earth that is....

Don't forget that this is an existing installation, so the fact that r2 is lower than the r1 is understandable and most probably due to existing parallel earth paths. The r1 reading equates to approx 40-45 metres, so check if this is right.
although the rn reading is high and does suggest loose connections.

Don't forget that this is an existing installation, so the fact that r2 is lower than the r1 is understandable and most probably due to existing parallel earth paths. The r1 reading equates to approx 40-45 metres, so check if this is right.
although the rn reading is high and does suggest loose connections.

He's not put the r2 figure, just r1 and rn.

also shouldn't be any parallel paths on an end to end cpc test.

Reply to ringmain testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net