Discuss Run aerial cables down chimney? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Not strictly electrical I realise but you guys have lots of experience so thought you might have knowledge of chimneys? The chimney is Victorian and from looking at the chimney breasts to stack it is straight.

Long story but I need to get 4 tv aerial cables from loft down (or from basement up) 4 floors, 1 cable to feed each floor.
Anyone know if it is possible that the chimney is just a vertical shaft and I could route aerial cables down the chimney?

Thanks for any help.

Hi it is possible,but so is getting home on a bare wheel...when the tyre comes off...

You would not do this for several reasons,and if you don't know them,then this should be proof enough,to use another,more conventional method.

There are lots of other ways to achieve your entertainment distribution,and wrecking the structure of a stack,walls and feathers,possibly causing other problems,now and in the future,is not one of them.

Thanks for the reply. The stack is coming down next week, roofer, skip, and scaffolding all booked in. Currently the stack has 3 aerials on and has for over 12 years. The problem is, quite rightly, no one is able to climb a ladder to fix an aerial 3 floors up any more. So if the aerials are reattached to gable end and when they fail I cont get them fixed without scaffolding.
So I was thinking that the old disused chimney, that will be accessible from the loft, might be a relatively straight forward way to route cables. OK so not supporting cables would be an absolute no no if they were power cables, but worst case I loose TV reception. The 3 tv's are all mounted on the chimney breasts, so I was thinking of just drilling a 25mm hole to route cables to tv. Worst case temp remove a single brick in chimney breast get cable in, then sleeved and then refit brick.
Alternative is mini trunking internally or run cables outside while scaffolding is there but again should I have issue in future the scaffolding would need to come back at about £500.

I think they have a straight ish one at the top,the ones below are then offset
Individual brick vents from each chimney to seperate pots
At least my own appear that way

It will be straight front the top but lower down you have smoke shelves, dampers etc. It wouldn't be impossible though.

Hi bud,your original post said nothing about the stack coming down...

If the chimney is both put out of service,and in sole use by one property,you could use it as a giant masonry conduit...

You will either have to send 4 separate cables down each flue,in the loft,or break through the feathers at each opening,or...

...And i didn't tell you this trick...measure out the four differing lengths plus extra,tape them at one end,and tape them to a 5oz fish weight on the end of a rope.Tape the other end of the differing lengths to the rope at intervals,but only the other end of the cables.You can use a signal generator and a CAT to find these,but two good men can do without this. Lower the weight and ends,from the loft,down the flue which services the cellar fire. This will be at one side of the stack. Lower to this opening,and either find at opening,or core drill 2" nearer ceiling,find,separate from other three,secure.

Lift rope and other three,up to measured height of 1st floor,or CAT. Core drill,find,separate,secure.Do this till loft,and you should have four cables,all in one flue,all running from roof to service each floor.

...Or just Tivo the gaff;)

Hi bud,your original post said nothing about the stack coming down...

If the chimney is both put out of service,and in sole use by one property,you could use it as a giant masonry conduit...

You will either have to send 4 separate cables down each flue,in the loft,or break through the feathers at each opening,or...

...And i didn't tell you this trick...measure out the four differing lengths plus extra,tape them at one end,and tape them to a 5oz fish weight on the end of a rope.Tape the other end of the differing lengths to the rope at intervals,but only the other end of the cables.You can use a signal generator and a CAT to find these,but two good men can do without this. Lower the weight and ends,from the loft,down the flue which services the cellar fire. This will be at one side of the stack. Lower to this opening,and either find at opening,or core drill 2" nearer ceiling,find,separate from other three,secure.

Lift rope and other three,up to measured height of 1st floor,or CAT. Core drill,find,separate,secure.Do this till loft,and you should have four cables,all in one flue,all running from roof to service each floor.

...Or just Tivo the gaff;)
what a bloody palaver when all you need to do is send a child/apprentice up the chimney.

what a bloody palaver when all you need to do is send a child/apprentice up the chimney.
...True,but there is nothing like an adamant customer with coin,and a novel idea,to fund a new enduro bike...;)

Just to update. Chimney stack down and slated over. Roofer climbed scaffold and rested hand on stack, it moved!!!! It was the worst he had seen, the render was hiding the fact that a lot of bricks had given way and fallen in to chimney!
Anyway not even worth trying to get cables down there.
So tv aerial bloke coming to fit new cables externally from each tv down to distribution amp connected to existing aerial feed in basement.

Cheers for the advice.

Are you volunteering Tel? How's life treating you?
just seen your post.life is fine. just got to watch the calorific intake with her indoors' cooking. trying to get dementia as i understand i can get extra pension if i have it. :(

Good to hear you are well. Extra income always good but not sure I would want to have to get dementia for it.
Calorific intake always difficult to manage, so many tempting food out there not to mention beer :)
If you are still working might need you Jan as EICR renewal due then! Doesn't seem that long ago does it?

Reply to Run aerial cables down chimney? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock