Discuss Running a 24v Spal Fan from UK Plug? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JackBoy

Hello all

I would like to run a Spal fan from a UK socket.

Most of these fans however are used in automotive vehicles, so there is not much info online.

What powersupply do I need to run the fan at a set speed?

Im guessing 24v / 6A will work, but thats 150Watts - I dont need it running full speed.

Could I buy a 24v powersupply with only 3A? Im wondering if the fan would run at around half the speed, which is just fine.

If I wanted to change the speed of the fan, I guess I would have to change the voltage or amperage?

Spal confirmed the fan does have the capability to be run safely at a lower speed.

Running a 24v Spal Fan from UK Plug? fa - EletriciansForums.net

a 3A supply will soon burn out. you need at least a 10A/24V PSU.

Ah really? Thanks for that heads up, If I got a 10A PSU, can I lower the amperage to lower the fan speed? or would I control the fan speed some other way?

When I spoke to SPAL direct, they said many vehicles using their fans regulate the fan speed, so it is possible to do some way.

should be OK.it's start up surge that could cause a problem. might be an idea to use 2 x 12V 7Ah alarm batteries in series (with each other to give 24A) and in parallel with the PSU to charge.

Hi telectrix,

I found a PSU with some diff options.

24v 10A
24v 15A

Should I get the 15A to help with the surge you spoke of?

Have to ask why you'd want to ?. You can buy a standard 12" 3 speed mains fan for about the same price as a PSU & have no messing about.
To alter the speed on your 24v fan, you either need a variable power supply. A fan speed control module or to be able to switch in different series resistive elements to alter the speed.

The current rating of the power supplies is the maximum current it can provide, the load will draw as much current as it needs. If the load requires 5A then putting it on a 10A power supply it will only draw 5A (after any startup inrush) and putting it on a 3A supply will just burn out the power supply.

Speed control might be possible by varying the voltage. But this will likely reduce the cooling of the motor and reduce the lifespan of the unit

From what the op says, the manufacturers have told him the fan will run quite safely at lower speeds.

According to the specs you posted, the motor can pull up to 8A.
If you want variable speed you will want a variable power supply.
As you vary the voltage the speed will vary
Most power supplies with variable voltage will be electronic regulation
And probably over load protection this is where you will run into trouble
These motors pull large currents when starting up
So your supply must be able to cope with this.
Many cheapies won't.

Reply to Running a 24v Spal Fan from UK Plug? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock