Discuss Running a shed from an extension lead - Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Outofphase

Hi all! First things first, I'm not a qualified electrician but I consider myself competent and very safety conscious. I've been tinkering with electronics for a long time. But I need help :D

I've wired up my shed/workshop with 4 double sockets and a light fitting. Sockets are on 2.5mm cable, lights are on 1.5mm. All earthed properly. This is all in 20mm conduit for mechanical protection. I have installed a consumer unit in the shed with 3 MCB's fed from 100a RCD. The 4 double sockets are split into 2 circuits, each pair through its own 16a MCB. The light switch is fed from a 6a MCB. The consumer unit is supplied through a 32a Isolator switch.

The power to all of this is supplied from a weatherproof lead (about 8 meters) through my bedroom window and plugged in my bedroom (ring) with a standard 13a plug. Before anybody stains their pants, I know the limits of this setup. I only run a 1.5kw fan heater and the 60w incan light at the same time. If I use power tools, the heater gets turned off. I always check the 13a plug indoors for heat, and the lead gets coiled into my shed overnight. I never get the plug warm in use.

Anyway, I want more watts available. I had the idea of using a 32a blue 3pin caravan-style plug to hook up to the shed. I'll have to get an electrician in to run the 6mm t+e from the consumer unit to the 32a socket outside the house. I have some 6mm armoured cable already.

My question is, will my shed then be subject to regulations etc? I will only plug the shed in when I need power. If I can't get a beefy 32a socket installed, I will continue using the 13a lead. I just have to be careful with load.

Any help/stories of experience would be great!

Thanks.

why not get your electrician to run the SWA and give you a permanent safe installation to the shed.

I would like the option of unplugging the whole thing, although it's on an isolator switch. Would the electrician have to inspect the shed for safety? I've done it all to a high standard, but most of the wire is new-old-stock pre-2004 red and black. Could that be a problem?

[QUOTE="Outofphase, post: 1238070,

My question is, will my shed then be subject to regulations [/QUOTE]

YES of course it will !

Basically anything that is connected to the mains wiring in any way,
is covered by code.
So you always where covered by code !
You have gotten away with it, simply because you haven't been caught yet.

as long as the wiring/installation is safe, the should not be a problem. most sparks are not colour predjudiced.

A new circuit tho a commando socket or some swa to the shed.... Hum let me think about that.

Either way it falls under part p.....

YES of course it will !

Basically anything that is connected to the mains wiring in any way,
is covered by code.
So you always where covered by code !
You have gotten away with it, simply because you haven't been caught yet.

So I'm breaking the law by plugging into my house? My shed is basically a glorified extension lead. Would the 32a plug be considered a valid 'loophole'? It's not part of the house, anymore than the kettle is.

A new circuit tho a commando socket or some swa to the shed.... Hum let me think about that.

Either way it falls under part p.....

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. Is it a case of the spark looking at it and saying 'yeah, that looks good to me mate' or is there a lot more involved?

basically, get a spark to quote, but don't be persuaded to go over the top for what is just a shed. there's ways and means to do it safely without spending mega bucks. if you post your location, one of us may be close enough to advise.

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. Is it a case of the spark looking at it and saying 'yeah, that looks good to me mate' or is there a lot more involved?

A self certifying part P spark will design, install and test...... For a fee

I'm just doing a quote for a similar job, the cable alone is about £165

basically, get a spark to quote, but don't be persuaded to go over the top for what is just a shed. there's ways and means to do it safely without spending mega bucks. if you post your location, one of us may be close enough to advise.

I think that'll be the best bet. If he deems my wiring 'not safe' does he have a duty to take action? Should I have enquired before installing? Thanks for the sound advice so far by the way

If the spark deems your install unsafe I doubt they will connect the shed, or even and more likely not even provide a quote......

I think that'll be the best bet. If he deems my wiring 'not safe' does he have a duty to take action? Should I have enquired before installing? Thanks for the sound advice so far by the way
he can't take action, all he can do is advise if its OK or not. . we are not the electric gestapo.

QUOTE [So I'm breaking the law by plugging into my house]
YES !
No matter how well or safe you do it !
if your not qualified then it's illegal.
We can advise you on the safest way to do it !
But in the end it's not legal.
Which puts your insurance at risk.

QUOTE [So I'm breaking the law by plugging into my house]
YES !
No matter how well or safe you do it !
if your not qualified then it's illegal.
We can advise you on the safest way to do it !
But in the end it's not legal.
Which puts your insurance at risk.

This is your second post, and I don't get what you mean by illegal.... Unless I'm mistaken, we're not Australia where DIY electrics is actually illegal. DIY electrical work can be perfectly legal and safe in the UK.

EDIT: Just noticed your profile does indeed say Australia, so I think this is the source of your confusion. DIY electrics is not illegal in the UK.

This is your second post, and I don't get what you mean by illegal.... Unless I'm mistaken, we're not Australia where DIY electrics is actually illegal. DIY electrical work can be perfectly legal and safe in the UK.

EDIT: Just noticed your profile does indeed say Australia, so I think this is the source of your confusion. DIY electrics is not illegal in the UK.

But failure to comply to the building regs is.

Things like this just serve to highlight how wishy-washy the UK system really is. DIY electrics should either be allowed or not, then everyone at least would know where they stand. I went to a chap recently who had changed all his sockets and switches to fancy chrome fittings, which he is perfectly entitled to do, but when he turned the power on all sorts of things went wrong. He had wired a neutral and line together in a light switch, reversed polarity on several sockets, and lost earth continuity on a ring final. But in the past I have seen whole new circuits installed DIY style to very high standards. The whole system needs looking at, really. Probably.

It should be though (it sounds as if the OP in this case has done a competent job, we think).

However, there's a forum I peruse, which has a section on diy renovations. One guy has refurbished his house, doing the electrics himself. He repositioned an old lead sheath supply, bending the cable :eek:. Installed CU, final circuits etc. Asked for a new meter to be installed. When they came to fit it, the supply engineers found the property had no earthing facility from the lead sheath!

The bloke is lavished with praise about his handy work. He found an electrician to carry out an EICR on his new work.

Reply to Running a shed from an extension lead - Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net