Discuss Running a submain through distribution board, right or wrong in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I've been pulled today for installing an swa glancing into the top of a header trunking then taking it through the db, saying its against the regs saying a once a main sw is off the whole db has to be dead, I can't find a reference to it,
normally I would always gland it in the bottom of the db but the cable was already installed and could only go in the top,

am am I completely in the wrong here?
thanks

I've looked in the regs, Eawr, safe isolation best practice guide and there no mention to running of submain through the db,,

It's impossible for the whole DB to be dead wherever the cable comes in unless the main switch is in a separate enclosure.
It is preferable for the cable to enter at the bottom, but as you say it is not always possible.

The terminals are exposed most of the time on the main sw anyway, I'd be switching of at section board anyway to satisfy the ESSW

Most good quality boards have the main switch terminals covered in a TP board these days.

ESSW?

This is the db in question
Running a submain through distribution board, right or wrong {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Bad practice, if you needed to work on the sub main, say remove or whatever, then you would need to isolate the entire board it is running through, causing disruption

Ud need to isolate the db anyway to work on the submain, but once the submain is in why would you need to remove it?its all ifs and buts, is there anything saying its bad practice it's certainly not prohibited and does not affect safe isolation of the board, to safely isolate the board would mean turning it of at the section panel,

Ud need to isolate the db anyway to work on the submain, but once the submain is in why would you need to remove it?its all ifs and buts, is there anything saying its bad practice it's certainly not prohibited and does not affect safe isolation of the board, to safely isolate the board would mean turning it of at the section panel,
Are you feeding the sub main from the board its running from? or using the board as a route

Last edited:
It looks like the OP has only ran the cable in from the top to be terminated in the board, no issue there? If it was running through a board to elsewhere that would be different.

Here's wat the guys saying, can you guys help putting together a decent response with the help of technical info cheers

Attachments

• Running a submain through distribution board, right or wrong ima - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 124

Reply to Running a submain through distribution board, right or wrong in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock