Discuss Running a washing mashine from an modified sine wave inverter in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sylvain

I would like to know if it is ok to run my washing mashine from my 1500 w modified sine wave inverter.

Spec:

Continental ce68618
Washing power : 450 Watts
dehydrating power : 160 watts

Modified sine wave inverters have a poorly formed waveform which can make problems with electronics. Also whatever the total power consumption of the washing machine is I'd use an inverter that's around double the output.

The short answer is it will be a lottery whether it works or not.

I cannot see a spec for that machine online. Most ordinary automatic washing machines that have a water heating element built in use in excess of 2000W when heating, I assume yours is designed to fill with hot water and does not heat it? I also wonder about the motor power quoted: if dehydrating means spinning that would typically be a higher load than washing.

I agree with Marvo about the electronics. To explain his point further, many washing machines that do not have a direct-drive permanent-magnet motor use a universal brush-motor with phase-angle speed control. These WILL NOT work with 'modified sine' and the speed controller may be damaged. Older machines used induction motors which will generally work but the motor power may be reduced and the load on the inverter greater than would be expected.

Finally, even at 450W, with an inverter efficiency of 90% the load on a 12V battery would be around 42A which will require a decent size battery if it is to run for long.

.....if dehydrating means spinning that would typically be a higher load than washing.

I assumed at 160Watts for 'dehydrating' it's a condensing dryer and that's the fan for the cool air and maybe a condensate pump but I could be wrong, I couldn't find an online spec either.

Ah, twin tub, why didn't I think of that. Might just work...

I assumed at 160Watts for 'dehydrating' it's a condensing dryer and that's the fan for the cool air and maybe a condensate pump but I could be wrong, I couldn't find an online spec either.

I think this guy is French or French speaking, with a name like Sylvain, so when he talks about ''dehydrating'' he could well simply mean Spin drying!!!

They were a pretty bullet proof machine.

Aye ... twin tubs were faster cos your lass could be spin drying one batch while the washer bit was washing the next batch.

It had the added bonus of keeping her out of the way in the kitchen for a bit longer too.

Whoever designed it should have been given an award for services to mankind.

Reply to Running a washing mashine from an modified sine wave inverter in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock