Discuss Safety advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Matthew Campbell

hi, looking for some professional advice. I am needing more sockets in my room for my games console as my tv and sky box have taken up the only two available. I have suggested to my mum that we get one of these 4 socket extension bars from argos but she does not think they are safe.

Any advice on whether these are safe or not?

Thanks

Matthew

Not an ideal solution imo, but if it's for small loads and the fusing is correct should be OK it's done all over the UK

MY it GEAr all runs off a 10 way extension lead. has been like that for years. noproblems.

Yes they are safe as long as you use a bit of common sense.
Check that the product you are buying is marked with its British standard number, kite mark, CE mark. Buy it from a reputable shop, don't trust a product which seems too cheap (if it's cost £1 to buy then how many corners were cut in making it.)

Don't replace the fuse in the plug with a nail!
Plugs, sockets and cables naturally can get warm when in use so don't pile stuff like clothes up on top of them.

Yes they are safe as long as you use a bit of common sense.
Check that the product you are buying is marked with its British standard number, kite mark, CE mark. Buy it from a reputable shop, don't trust a product which seems too cheap (if it's cost £1 to buy then how many corners were cut in making it.)

Don't replace the fuse in the plug with a nail!
Plugs, sockets and cables naturally can get warm when in use so don't pile stuff like clothes up on top of them.

a bit of 6mm screwed rod fits perfect and you'll never get nuisance blowing, just a charred apology for a plug top. :mad:

ps.plumbers do not try this at home. even if it's only a useless boiler fuse.

but make sure you wear full ppe... hard hat, goggles, gloves, steel toecapped -------s before switching on. it's all H&S these dayds.

What a load of ****** cobblers this lad must think we are all mad. Get a spark in? Spend £20?? Just go to Wilko's and get one for £3.99 like everyone else, it will be fine. You won't overload it with computer stuff, you can't overload it, that's why it's got a 13A fuse in the plug. Have any of you ever seen in the back of a 19 inch computer rack?? They have 10 or even 12 way extension gangs for the IT stuff, all on a 13A plug, no problem. Dear me how to make a drama out of a crisis.......

just bought a 6 way, with D/P switch and neon from aldi for £7.99. decent quality and running halogen heater, chargers, bench grinder, pillar drill, man cave is getting habitable now.

I hope he screws the extension bar to the wall, then leaving on the floor, or one of those Masterplug 10 Socket Surge Protected Extension.
Buzz me old matey, do you think, for the new year, you could try and make your posts a bit more coherent? I know you are probably using a mobile device but a lot of your replies just lately are a bit naff on the old grammar front. Us old gits have this nasty habit of reading back what we have written before committing it to the ether.....
There are standards to maintain, its what keeps us apart from plumbers and other lesser forms of life.

sorry oz your write, will stop using Morse code. will try to get a signal when I leave this jungle.
extension bar, what was I thinking . I should have said is a 6 way extension lead, or leaving it on the floor, write sir.

Its low wattage I.T equipment, not likely to pull more than a couple of amps it total, no need for anything other than a decent quality multi gang extension lead! Provided its fitted with the correctly rated fuse it can't be overloaded either so I don't see what the drama is?

Reply to Safety advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock