Discuss Sat Phones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As title suggest's I got thinking about them while overdosing on Gold Rush , They are quite popular on the show for obvious reasons, as in the remote locations they operate in.
So I just wondered If any members had ever dealt with them or indeed owns one and if so what are your thoughts, Are they really as good as they are portrayed.
Also, do they work on a rental/contract/buy option.

Unless the costs have come down considerably in recent years then I don't think it would justify itself apart from emergency use. We had one a few years back and it was £40 odd per month and that got 20 minutes airtime.

Unless the costs have come down considerably in recent years then I don't think it would justify itself apart from emergency use. We had one a few years back and it was £40 odd per month and that got 20 minutes airtime.

Ouch Steve, So not a practical Item then, but are they 100% Guaranteed to work I suppose if they are really good then they could be worth their money.

but are they 100% Guaranteed to work I suppose if they are really good then they could be worth their money.

Does Sky TV work in heavy rain. No.

Sat phones will be no different
They probably won't work inside buildings either.

Their best use will be remote locations like on Goldrush.

Ouch Steve, So not a practical Item then, but are they 100% Guaranteed to work I suppose if they are really good then they could be worth their money.

Worked ok in open areas but was iffy if near any buildings etc. same as a sat nav would be.

@GMES what's the reason for wanting one anyway?

Worked ok in open areas but was iffy if near any buildings etc. same as a sat nav would be.

@GMES what's the reason for wanting one anyway?

Because I've been watching Gold Rush Lol, Only kidding, I just wondered how good and reliable they were, it started because I always struggle getting hold of my main Spark and wondered if they were an option in emergencies.

Because I've been watching Gold Rush Lol, Only kidding, I just wondered how good and reliable they were, it started because I always struggle getting hold of my main Spark and wondered if they were an option in emergencies.

Is a normal mobile not doing the business?

No mate, he seems to struggle for signal all the time, he's on the same network as me but his signal seems rubbish.
I had the same issue with the missus we could be in the same room with same handsets and same network, I would have full strength and she would have none.
I just wish for once I had no signal for a day, I might get something done, it never stops ringing most days.

I use them occasionally in the very far flung areas. As Stevie says they're hellish expensive, I think the last time I rented one (earlier this year) it was over US$200 for a month excluding 'airtime' which is billed by the second on top. It might be cheaper in the UK/US/EU though. They're pretty reliable, the one we use is ruggedized to military spec and I've not managed to break one yet, the Tx/Rx when you use it has a short time lag so it takes a bit of getting used to. Reception is pretty reliable as long as it's not during a monsoon or tropical storm.

Reply to Sat Phones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net