Discuss Schuko Sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gardner

Are schuko (continental Europe) sockets installed on a 10, 16 or 20amp MCB? Schuko plugs have no fuse, so a 32 amp ring or radial would be illegal?

Are schuko (continental Europe) sockets installed on a 10, 16 or 20amp MCB? Schuko plugs have no fuse, so a 32 amp ring or radial would be illegal?
why would it? the fuse is to protect the cable not the appliance/accessories plugged into it.

for example the bms section in our panels is fed in say 2.5/4mm etc backed up by a 50a+ bs88 fuse or mcb etc

The OP is talking about installing them on a RFC, which would leave unfused appliances plugged into them. Your scenario is a dedicated radial with just one socket which is permissable.

why would it? the fuse is to protect the cable not the appliance/accessories plugged into it.

for example the bms section in our panels is fed in say 2.5/4mm etc backed up by a 50a+ bs88 fuse or mcb etc

So it is possible to place schuko sockets on a 32 amp ring? My understanding is that BS plugs are typically equipped with a 1, 5 or 13 amp fuse because if the cord short circuited the wire might not draw enough current to trip the MCB fast enough (wire would be damage)

Hi,
These sockets are intended for protection via a 16MCB or similar, also they have to meet the requirements of the wiring regulations of the country that you are in. It is unclear if they would be permitted in the uk.

So I take it anything over 16 amps is a no go. Sounds reasonable.

Out of curiosity, is 1.5mm2 common for the radial or 2.5mm2?

The 32A ring final circuit for socket outlets is unique to the UK and UK-derived systems using fused plugs only. Schuko sockets are not used and would not be acceptable with 32A OCP because it would not protect the connected appliance cables. 2.5mm² cable is normal for most applications.

Note that most people on this UK-based forum will not be familiar with Schuko sockets or the applicable regulations and practices in countries where they are used.

Thanks! That makes the most sense. May I ask why 1.5mm2 is not used? Or is it just to offset voltage drop?

2.5mm2 is stipulated for socket circuits here and 1.5mm2 for lighting circuits, Schuko sockets would not comply in the UK, because in addition to the other reasons given, they are not polarized.

And just in case you ask, the only rings you will see in Spain got bulls in 'em.

2.5mm2 is stipulated for socket circuits here and 1.5mm2 for lighting circuits, Schuko sockets would not comply in the UK, because in addition to the other reasons given, they are not polarized.

And just in case you ask, the only rings you will see in Spain got bulls in 'em.

LOL, I figured the UK was the only one that did rings. And lights must be kept off of socket circuits in Spain, correct?

Depending on what country you are exporting your portacabins too, will depend on the maximum number of Schuko sockets that are allowed on a single radial circuit. Being as these sockets are not polarised, countries such as Germany, Austria etc, use DP or SP+N protective devices. You will find that Schuko socket terminations only allow for a maximum of 2 X 2.5mm, or one 4mm cable.

LOL, I figured the UK was the only one that did rings. And lights must be kept off of socket circuits in Spain, correct?

Correct there are no multi branch circuits in mainland Europe that i know of...

I have heard of this, that some codes will restrict the amount of sockets per circuits. For example France will restrict to 8 sockets on a 20amp circuit. My understanding is that under BS7671 13 amp plugs as well as schuko sockets have no limit?

I have heard of this, that some codes will restrict the amount of sockets per circuits. For example France will restrict to 8 sockets on a 20amp circuit. My understanding is that under BS7671 13 amp plugs as well as schuko sockets have no limit?

As i stated depending on the country in question there will be a restriction as to how many receptacles can be permitted on a single circuit. France uses a socket outlet very similar to the Schuko outlet except that it has a protruding earth pin on the outlet and are therefore polarised. I can't remember the permitted number of outlets France allows, or come to that the number Germany allows... but there will be a restriction, be it based on the number of sockets per circuit, or circuit covering a given number of square meters.... I'd have to check my VDE 100 regs to get a definitive answer...

So it is possible to place schuko sockets on a 32 amp ring? My understanding is that BS plugs are typically equipped with a 1, 5 or 13 amp fuse because if the cord short circuited the wire might not draw enough current to trip the MCB fast enough (wire would be damage)

Have you bought a copy of BS7671 yet?

He has a pdf copy of BS7671 he found on the internet, as i remember amendment 1, so nothing much different than the current edition that would affect his work regarding portacabins...

Reply to Schuko Sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock