Discuss SDS drill options in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Flint

Looking for my first SDS for chasing out etc and looking for some advice. Definitely going corded route, domestic stuff with capability for handling brick, concrete and stone. First query is how much difference does the kg make? ie some say 2kg, 3kg 4kg and even 5kg. I am guessing each is a step up performance wise. Used a friends makita at weekend that worked v well and which he has used for past 5 years and rates. Unfortunately all model no etc worn off. Guessing a 3/4 kg as he paid about £400 new.

I got a makita 2470 it's very good and will happily drill or chisel all day. I do look after it and put grease down the chuck hole and keep it all clean. there about £139 if you shop around

Interesting topic. I would like to know why the OP hasn't had much advice as to what sds to use. I'm also in the market for buying a corded SDS combi drill and was about to purchase a Milwaukee PH30 for high blow rate and was advised not to bother as there was a problem with this model and to buy a Kango 540s or 545 albeit more expensive it will last me all my working years and will happily chisel all day long. I also asked about any other brands and was informed they don't last. Any advice greatly appreciated. I have a V28 battery SDS and wanted a corded drill for chiselling and 25mm + holes.

bloody ell. that thing weighs more than a gallon of ale.

It's heavy aye, but has the power. I actually helped my mothers next door neighbour , and he gave to me, I replaced guts at a cost of £170 and walla spanking new breaker... Heavy tho after while. I find the 2kg sds ain't good enough i recked pistons on mine chasing/coring

I have a 5KG that is really way too heavy, but does have the grunt. I do not know how you can use a 6kg.
I would have thought 3 or 4 kg should be OK to handle and enough to do the job in most cases.

When you chase a wall you guys only chase enough for capping where I need to go in 30 mm for white pipe..

Now that's a guess what depth and width do you actually chase

When you chase a wall you guys only chase enough for capping where I need to go in 30 mm for white pipe..

Now that's a guess what depth and width do you actually chase

I forgot that you needed the space for conduit! Hmm lots of work, stick to the 6kg!:wink5:
The England and Wales Building Regulations do not allow any more than 21mm vertically or 10mm horizontally so we would not be able to put conduit in a standard brick wall.
I would do a 20 or 25mm wide chase for one or two cables in a domestic.

Sorry got the wrong dimension, we could do 34mm V or 17mm H with a 102mm brick, I used the height not the depth.
Still 34mm is not much room.
I just do not like cutting into bricks much but I have seen some horrendously deep cuts so I am probably too worried!

Aye no 1 likes doing it after while and is more work. I seen on tv the chasing of a house in England and it looked dead on . It just seems norm here to stick in pipe..
But why do we do it if we don't have too....

You HAVE to install in conduit in N. Ireland, or have I read this wrong?

No, of course not (but pretty much everyone does - and probably most of them think that it's some sort of requirement).

In my opinion chasing for conduit is a terrible idea if it's not required as it does nothing for the structural integrity of the building. I think capping is a better option unless conduit is required for the job.

Reply to SDS drill options in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock